PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy fish in edmonton

gottafindnemo
08-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Was wondering for future reference where the preffered place to buy live stock is in edmonton? Tank is cycleing but once its ready we plan on makeing the trip from grande prairie for something. A clown for sure, not sure what else. And dont have a qt tank..

krisjoseph
08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
The only place I know I Edmonton that QTs livestock BEFORE sale is Aquarium Illusions... but they do seem to charge a bit of a premium for that feature (less politely: they're expensive)

There's another small outfit called Marine Experience that I haven't checked out yet -- I'm just beginning the process of stocking my tank, as well :)

Proteus
08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Aquarium illusions, marine experience, big als, marine aquaria

AI does qt but people still have gotten ich and velvet.
Marine experience does copper qt

gottafindnemo
08-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Aquarium illusions, marine experience, big als, marine aquaria

AI does qt but people still have gotten ich and velvet.
Marine experience does copper qt
I thought copper was really hard on saltwater species??

gottafindnemo
08-14-2014, 08:11 PM
The only place I know I Edmonton that QTs livestock BEFORE sale is Aquarium Illusions... but they do seem to charge a bit of a premium for that feature (less politely: they're expensive)

There's another small outfit called Marine Experience that I haven't checked out yet -- I'm just beginning the process of stocking my tank, as well :)
So by qt before sale, do you have to pick your fish and then they qt it? Or how does that work? They qt when they get the fish in?

intarsiabox
08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
I thought copper was really hard on saltwater species??

Bad for corals and other inverts.

intarsiabox
08-14-2014, 11:05 PM
So by qt before sale, do you have to pick your fish and then they qt it? Or how does that work? They qt when they get the fish in?

No, they just all go into qt for 2 weeks. A proper QT is 6-8 weeks, 2 weeks pretty much just lets you see if they are eating or not.

Aquattro
08-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Bad for corals and other inverts.

Also bad for fish. Just not bad enough to kill them right away.

intarsiabox
08-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Also bad for fish. Just not bad enough to kill them right away.

Odd that an LFS would do so then

From what I've read too high a dose can kill fish, too little does nothing but using the correct mfg recommended dose is fine.

Aquattro
08-14-2014, 11:51 PM
No, copper is poison. Just not immediately fatal in dosages used to kill parasites. LFS use it has it's the most common method. But it's still poison and can leave residual amounts in the fish. Different levels will affect different fish in various degrees, but it's still not the best thing to use.

I wouldn't use it on my fish.

intarsiabox
08-14-2014, 11:53 PM
I never have either as I am in the belief that a healthy fish will not need a chemical treatment for ich. Good to know though, I'll be sure to avoid getting a fish that has been treated with copper.

Aquattro
08-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Ich isn't really a concern of mine, but velvet is. I lost all my fish to it 2 years ago. Chloroquine phosphate is now my med of choice.

intarsiabox
08-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Ich isn't really a concern of mine, but velvet is. I lost all my fish to it 2 years ago. Chloroquine phosphate is now my med of choice.

I've been lucky and have never had a sick fish but I wrote this down in my reef note book in case I ever need it. Thanks!

Kwood
08-15-2014, 12:36 AM

PREACH!

toytech
08-15-2014, 12:46 AM
marine experience only has a few fish ,less than a dozen not including clowns usually (guy in his house kinda deal) , I bought a lyretail anthia there and hes doing fine just don't add there tank water to yours . what happened to red coral Edmonton ? The store is there but no one is home ? it was a good place to go, prices where always posted with a description of the fish which was nice.

intarsiabox
08-15-2014, 01:00 AM
marine experience only has a few fish ,less than a dozen not including clowns usually (guy in his house kinda deal) , I bought a lyretail anthia there and hes doing fine just don't add there tank water to yours . what happened to red coral Edmonton ? The store is there but no one is home ? it was a good place to go, prices where always posted with a description of the fish which was nice.

Steve has a facebook page for Red Coral, he posts some special on there every now and then. Had Coral Beauties for $20 a couple weeks ago. I haven't been there for awhile mostly because of location with 1-2 parking stalls in the alley but he usually has really good stock at good prices. I used to buy from him all the time when he owned Little Oceans which was easier to get to for me and had tons of parking.

Jschier
08-15-2014, 02:28 AM
My favourites are Red Coral (best prices around) and aquarium central (good selection and decent prices). Those are for fish. For coral, Marine experience and Red Coral.

heliman206
08-15-2014, 04:54 AM
I recommend red coral or marine aquaria.

JmeJReefer
08-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Marine aquaria is top notch. Always healthy stuff with fair pricing.

Proteus
08-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Red coral is shut down. Atm it is appt only. Steve is going to be online only and coral only once the store is cleared out

BowedFloor
08-18-2014, 02:21 AM
I really enjoy shopping at Marine Aquaria. Harvey is the best. He always takes plenty of time with me to help me decide current and future fish purchases. Also they bring in really nice coral at a fair price.

Capt_kulafu
11-03-2014, 07:30 PM
where is Blue World Aquatic in Calgary Trail?

albert_dao
11-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Marine Aquaria has a huge QT system at the back of the store.

intarsiabox
11-04-2014, 12:29 AM
where is Blue World Aquatic in Calgary Trail?

It's been closed for over a year now.

Reefer head
11-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Ya actually ken from blue world owes be $160 store crdeit shady business I guess!

wilswils57
11-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Marine Aquaria has a huge QT system at the back of the store.

Any idea how long they QT their stuff for?