PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer or hydrometer

Kellyscoral
08-14-2014, 02:01 AM
2 days ago my hydrometer cracked. I bought another and readings seemed impossibly high - so I bought another - and then another. Each one had a different reading. So now I'm thinking a should get a Refractometer. Curious to see what you all use - and what brand/where should I purchase one from.

SoloSK71
08-14-2014, 02:16 AM
refractometer, no other choice for me

Charles

Aquattro
08-14-2014, 02:19 AM
Not only will your hydrometer be wrong, it will change over time. Refractometer is the only way to go.

JmeJReefer
08-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Refractometers are exponentially more accurate. Even an air bubble will throw off salinity readings in a hydrometer!

Slyguy00
08-14-2014, 02:49 AM
People still use those hydrometer things???? This shouldn't even be a question :mrgreen:

gregzz4
08-14-2014, 02:58 AM
Be sure to buy some calibration fluid when you get your new Refractometer
Then you'll never look back

mrhasan
08-14-2014, 03:46 AM
2 days ago my hydrometer cracked. I bought another and readings seemed impossibly high - so I bought another - and then another. Each one had a different reading. So now I'm thinking a should get a Refractometer. Curious to see what you all use - and what brand/where should I purchase one from.

Like others said. Refracs are the only way to go (unless you can drop $120+ for a digital one). Any brand is fine as long as it has ATC. Vertex is possiblY the most popular.

hillegom
08-14-2014, 03:52 AM
Or buy a used one. Use the search button on tool bar above thread.
Here is one in the lower mainland just to show you they are available reasonably. you will have to search for one in calgary

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107980&highlight=refractometer

mike31154
08-14-2014, 03:08 PM
While I'm not a fan of the swingarm hydrometer, if not calibrated periodically, a refractometer can also easily give you false readings. They are delicate & I find mine creeps off calibration fairly easily. I've used my refractometer to calibrate the swingarm hydrometers I have, so they're just as accurate provided I go by the marks I put on them after comparing with refracto.

Not sure why the floating glass type hydrometer is not used or offered for sale in our hobby very much either. They can be quite accurate, the only thing you need to be aware of with these is temperature compensation. I wish I still had mine, but broke it some time ago. I still have a larger floating glass hydrometer for beer & wine making. I've used that to measure tank water as well, out of curiosity, and it was bang on with refracto reading.

Posted these photos before, but here they are again. Comparison of 2 swingarm hydrometers & floating glass. If I recall correctly, the refractometer reading was 1.025. The floating glass was pretty much bang on.

Coralife, 3 points low
https://tsl4pa.bl3302.livefilestore.com/y2pfDOZVtiLiQ0WQeMfK0jY_b5LkV98LV-36gF9SvtEw-jNcFr6vcaNKHJajqJ0ElvTRBsEJSKnemdXKlUZJgL7fjeI5m0s vEZ06ZX6ZNTJHuo/CoralifeSwingArmB.jpg?psid=1

IO Deep Six, better but 1.5 points low
https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y2pmITd_P5eI0BT7qHnrAVHKIlKGBEe2-oe60MYK-tCQ5zd2PtbMNxKwRZB5mUNjfbnPrDoODpHwe9XacmD2-EeQSDG7hMOaSTsS1_mS9byWC8/IOSwingArmB.jpg?psid=1

Floating Glass, on the money
https://tsl4pa.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y2pyiYJP4ax029nxFqe0EwAF0bzpB-z5CkfxbVMmipHIdsCFiM-VE7XOCBJyydsY_FIfoH29IAPas_Y9GbwhrwDMPDkhaQXj0JxG0 UkylGrIRs/TaiwanGlassHydroB.jpg?psid=1

So yeah, based on my personal experience, by all means get a refractometer, it's a good investment. Floating glass will also serve you well at a fraction of the cost. Both are delicate, the refracto needs calibration, the floating glass does not, but needs temperature compensation. Most floating glass are factory calibrated to provide an accurate reading at a given temperature, which is not that far off the temperature we run our tank water at. They will usually come with compensation chart and a few degrees difference does not affect the reading that much.

Kellyscoral
08-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks all - last weekend I bought a new radion light and this weekend I will go buy a Refractometer! Gives me a good excuse to go check out coral too!

jason604
08-15-2014, 07:42 AM
i bought my refract from ebay for 20bucks. works like a charm

The Guy
08-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Be sure to buy some calibration fluid when you get your new Refractometer
Then you'll never look back
I've had my Sybon refractometer for 3 years and agree they should be checked every so often with the ultra clean calibration water, mine has always been bang on when ever I do a check. Make sure it's rinsed well and soft cloth dried after every use. For sure a good investment for salinity checking.