PDA

View Full Version : any marine biologists out there?

jess128
08-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey everyone. I'm in grade 11 this year, so I'm trying to figure out university and all that. I've always wanted to be a marine biologist but now I'm having some second thoughts. I'm just wondering if someone in that field would answer some questions for me. My science teacher has a marine bio degree but couldn't find a job in that field so now he's teaching jr.high science. Is it hard to find a job in Canada for marine biologists? He also told me that I'd have to take 4 years at the U of A, then another 4 years at the U of V, and then a year of 2 at Banfield. Is this correct? I really don't want to be without an actual job for another 12 years!

I'm also having second thoughts because I don't want to spend 2 years studying micro plankton or micro bacteria, etc. Eventually I'd like to specialize in marine mammels, but won't that take even longer in university? I've also heard that the pay is really bad in that field, is that true? I'm also not sure if marine biology is just an interest for me, or if I like it enough to go as far as have a career in it. It would be great if someone with some experience in this field or who knows someone in this field could PM me and give me some info. Thanks!

Quinn
08-24-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm not much farther along the post-secondary road than you are, but my thoughts on this - to work in the area you're actually interested in, a doctorate appears to be a requisite. That's roughly a decade of post-secondary, if all goes well. I think that a popular area like marine biology would have a lot of applicants looking for a limited number of graduate positions, and that degree of competition could spell problems. Sometimes you can find other ways to work in the field you want. I know of a professor who researches cephalopods under the guise of comparative psychology (most comparative psychologists study primates and to a lesser degree higher functioning birds). Just my thoughts.

There are a number of marine biologists on RC and RDO, as I expect you are aware. You could try contacting them.

albert_dao
08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
A decade of schooling is NUTS!!!

Cap'n
08-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I had planned on becoming a Marine Biologist and spent 4 years in university working (drinking) towards my BSc. Didn't happen though.

However, my youngest sister, who also wanted to become a Marine Biologist finished her schooling a year early, on the Dean's List each term, graduated top of her class, Honours with Distinction. Love that sibling rivalry!

Jennifer had the opportunity to continue her studies in Cape Cod but chose to stay at home. She promptly got a job at The Nova Scotia Agricultural College where she has spent the last several years studying the breeding habits of saltwater mussels and teaching classes & labs. My goal was to live on a glass bottomed boat studying the fish of the Great Barrier Reef, but to each their own.

point 1) Jennifer had the grades, work ethic and personality to get a job pretty much anywhere she wanted
point 2) She studied and lived in an area of increasing marine research (Canada's East coast)
point 3) I now have a glass-bottomed reef in my living room

Quinn
08-24-2004, 10:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Albert, it does seem nuts, but in some programs, many schools guarantee their graduate students scholarships that ensure the individual can afford a cot and Kraft Dinner. Plus there's often an office and undergrads to push around. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

christyf5
08-24-2004, 10:22 PM
sent you PM :biggrin:

albert_dao
08-25-2004, 04:59 AM
That's true but you gotta stop and consider the implications of those who don't get jobs in their respective fields after that much schooling. Sometimes, it's not even a matter of personal ethic and whatnot but of chances.

Ten years is pretty scary. Then again, my friend's sister has done really well for herself in her field. Basically rakes in $100k-ish a year through funding and grants. She's not even done yet. Must be nice...

jess128
08-28-2004, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Christy gave me some great information in that PM, thanks again. My grades are pretty good, and I'm doing all of the sciences and will graduate with math 30 pure, maybe math 31, bio 30, chem 30, and physics 30, as well as social and english and all the rest. The scary thing is spending 7+ years in university, not being able to get or hold a job, then having to go back for 5-7 years to train for something else! I grew up on the east coast of Canada (new brunswick) and that's where my love for the ocean started. Moving to Alberta of all places was a complete culture shock! I think I'll end up living in Vancouver, of possibly move back east. But there's time to think about that! Thanks again for the replies everyone.
-Jess

Quinn
08-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Man the Pure/Applied system is the spawn of Satan. What was Alberta Learning smoking?

Richer
08-29-2004, 06:38 AM
Taking Math 31 was the best thing I did I ever did in HS... made Math 113 and 115 a breeze. Those two courses were what pushed me up onto the Dean's list my first year. If only it were that easy now :eek:
Switching from HS to Uni was a nasty shock for me. I learned my lesson though, leaving stuff to the last minute doesn't give me good scores anymore :rolleyes: .

Good luck!

-Richer

Cap'n
08-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Switching from HS to Uni was a nasty shock for me. I learned my lesson though, leaving stuff to the last minute doesn't give me good scores anymore :rolleyes: .

-Richer

Glad you learned that lesson! And go to every class! That was my biggest mistake, thinking I could just pick up the books before a test and cruise through like HS.

Invigor
08-29-2004, 04:50 PM

-Richer

Glad you learned that lesson! And go to every class! That was my biggest mistake, thinking I could just pick up the books before a test and cruise through like HS.

heh, that's funny. no wonder I just scraped by first year engineering. I graduated with honours from highschool without studying for a second. That DOES NOT work in university. After 2 years off, i've decided to go back basically because my gf and my sister just graduated from univ and BOTH bought new cars..hmph. That's my incentive.

Quinn
08-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I hear that. I was never a strong student, never really applied myself in high school and scrapped through. That stuff does not work anymore. My GPA has steadily increased through the last two years so I think I'm getting it figured out now.