PDA

View Full Version : Any sps growers use D120 full spectrum LEDs?

jason604
08-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Just wondering if any1 was able to grow sps with good color n growth with the d120-v2-dimmable-120-watt-full-spectrum-led-light-16-light that reefsupply.ca sells? I'm unable I find a used good 6-8bulb t5 fixture so I was thinking of gettin this with my old LEDs .

Gools
08-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Yah I have 2 from Nick. Once i can afford 2 more i will replace my halides. very happy with it seems to give me good colour and I have growth. I'm a halides guy but have been more then pleased with these units.

DemoReef
08-12-2014, 01:44 AM
tagging along on this.

I just installed these lights over my new build and as such can not answer your question at this time. However I would also be interested in any feedback anyone has.

Palmer
08-12-2014, 03:44 AM
I have several of these lights I also purchased from Nick and am starting to get very good growth on my SPS. I say starting because I started a large grow out system over a year ago but it was from scratch so I needed a lot of time for the tank to mature and cycle to receive similar results from my display tank that at the time had metal halide and had been running for 5 years. Now I can say that my SPS are growing excellent under the D120's. Initially when I first transferred some coral and I was only a couple of months in they didn't do so well but that is a learning experience again on how long it takes to cycle a tank (or in this case multi tank system.) I also have other things in this system like candy canes , GSP, Frogspawn, etc etc doing well. One thing that was really interesting for me on these lights is I found the way my SPS corals grow to be very different from LED to Metal Halide. For instance I have a staghorn coral that always grew in long branches under metal halide but when putting them under these LED the long branches that remained singular stalks for years started growing little branches off the main branch when they never did before. This was actually with the 36" model that I replaced my MH light on my display with but my D120's are also bringing excellent growth.

It's been interesting!

jason604
08-12-2014, 04:09 AM
Hmm seems good. Who is this nick guy u guys talking about? I want to order one soon. How long are ur tanks? Mine 4'

Palmer
08-12-2014, 04:19 AM
Nick at Reef Supply Canada

http://www.reefsupplycanada.com/d120-v2-dimmable-120-watt-full-spectrum-led-light-16-light/

jason604
08-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I've read a thread on reefcentral that a lot of ppl replaced the 10k whites with all neutral whites having a lot better success with sps colours. Has any1 on here tried this with success?