PDA

View Full Version : Apex network connection

Slyguy00
08-10-2014, 06:08 AM
So got myself an apex controller and just as I expected, its a total nightmare trying to figure this thing out. I really don't know anything about networking or ip addresses and all that bs. But if someone can walk me through how to connect this thing to my computer or point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Quite a little headache maker this thing is.

whatcaneyedo
08-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Have you read this yet? http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-.pdf

scherzo
08-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Have you tried using Fusion? You don't need to know any of that stuff.

Aquattro
08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
You need to better describe where you're at and what you're trying to do. Can you connect to it on your local network? Out of the box, it should be at 192.168.1.50, username admin, PW 1234

You on Shaw or Telus?

Ryanerickson
08-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Telus

Slyguy00
08-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the links and advice. Iv gotten the fusion going and connected now. On to the next head ache of learning how to program and hook anything up to this thing.

spit.fire
08-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the links and advice. Iv gotten the fusion going and connected now. On to the next head ache of learning how to program and hook anything up to this thing.

if you can wait till next weekend i can help you make it do pretty much anything

input80
08-11-2014, 05:04 AM
if you can wait till next weekend i can help you make it do pretty much anything

oooh ooooh me too please :biggrin:

Doug
08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Its absolutely the best controller I have ever used but agreed its another thing to hook it all up....:lol:
Reading over some of the instructions many times helped me some but the help from other aquarists got me through it. It actually seems pretty simple once they explain it. Well some of it anyways. :lol:

One of the great things about Canreef.

duncangweller
08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I was getting so annoyed with the setup and then took a deep breath and read slowly and i got it sorted out. Not enjoyable by an means though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scherzo
08-11-2014, 05:46 PM

What modules are you looking to setup.

I think the most basic thing to setup is just the temp and maybe lighting timers if you have those kinds of lights.

Let us know what you're hooking up and we can offer some tips.

I did a lot of research when getting my controller and the Apex is by far the most widely supported and used aquarium controller. Lots of help.

Slyguy00
08-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys, i have the basics figured out sort of. Iv managed to get my heater and chiller going off the apex. The problem im having right now is lighting. I am able to turn the light on and off with the apex but when i type in the times to turn on and off it doesnt come on. Another issue im having is actually controlling anything when im away from my house. I seem to be able to view the temp and amps from chiller and ph from my fusion but if i actually want to change something or even turn on the light manually instead of with timer it keeps giving me error messages (attatched below) So without fusion how can you control the apex when you are away from the unit? I have the apex app and it works great when im at home and when im not it doesnt connect. Any advise would be appreciated.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad204/Slyguy00/Mobile%20Uploads/E07EB927-47A4-4239-B8CB-2288BD9DB919_zpsvsfol1as.png (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/Slyguy00/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E07EB927-47A4-4239-B8CB-2288BD9DB919_zpsvsfol1as.png.html)
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad204/Slyguy00/Mobile%20Uploads/C9582B58-F21C-49FC-93E7-6E004A8074FB_zpsx6nkmmzx.png (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/Slyguy00/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C9582B58-F21C-49FC-93E7-6E004A8074FB_zpsx6nkmmzx.png.html)

Ryanerickson
08-12-2014, 09:17 PM
This is what I got any time i tried to change anything on your apex nick guessing it's to do with being on internet not your wifi. But really no idea

Slyguy00
08-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Do I have to buy the wireless module for my apex to be able to access it remotely?? If so that seems kinda dumb.

Aquattro
08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Do I have to buy the wireless module for my apex to be able to access it remotely?? If so that seems kinda dumb.

No, it should just work. Using Fusion, it just connected for me, not even sure what settings to look at. Ultimately you probably need to configure your router to get it working, not the Apex itself.

spit.fire
08-12-2014, 10:30 PM
What firmware are you running

Ryanerickson
08-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I also think it's something to do with the telus router

Slyguy00
08-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Mike ended up helping me solve the problem. Turns out I had control turned off on the controller. So now I am able to control everything through fusion! Thanks for all the help.

Slyguy00
08-13-2014, 10:29 PM
So my next question. Not really thinking, I decided to set up my apex just half **sed and now I'm wondering, if I unplug it to move it all how I want it, am I going to have to go through all the same hassle to re set it up, or will it remember everything and it just carries on how it was?

Aquattro
08-13-2014, 10:41 PM
It will retain all the settings. If you plug something into a different outlet, you'll need to move the code for that outlet.

Slyguy00
08-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Awesome, thanks for quick response Brad!

Aquattro
08-13-2014, 11:35 PM
That being said, I just turned off my breaker on that circuit to replace an outlet, and turning the power back on, my entire Apex system is flashing orange...

Slyguy00
08-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Lol o no! Has it come back yet?

Doug
01-06-2015, 04:24 PM
I bought a second 4 outlet power bar. Is there something I missed or can't find. How do I stop the switched socket from switching.
Besides annoying, I bought it to use 4 always on outlets. I have tried programming several times. Cant seem to get it to change.
Thanks

Aquattro
01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
You can probably just use SET On in advanced programming then in the control panel, set them to ON.

Doug
01-06-2015, 04:46 PM
You can probably just use SET On in advanced programming then in the control panel, set them to ON.

I tried that before Brad. Just did it again, still switching. So did it all again. Thought I had it this time. Just switched off.

Aquattro
01-06-2015, 05:29 PM
What is switching? As in some programmed logic has to trigger the event. Is the outlet marked to ON or Auto?

Aquattro
01-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Here is my skimmer outlet

Fallback ON
Set ON

In control panel, set to On.

It's just always on

Doug
01-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Ya, my main bar setting are the same Brad. Redo again. Same as that. Still switching. Going to have to go read everything again.

Aquattro
01-06-2015, 05:44 PM
I would just email tech support, or at least check in their forum. The whole bar isn't plugged into a switching outlet is it?

input80
01-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Hi there Doug, just a shot in the dark, is it possible that the plug/outlet is overloaded?

Doug
01-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Hi there Doug, just a shot in the dark, is it possible that the plug/outlet is overloaded?

No Im only trying to run a small pump on it and it switches even when empty.

I would just email tech support, or at least check in their forum. The whole bar isn't plugged into a switching outlet is it?

No its plugged direct into the wall.

input80
01-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Ok, I am very confused, is it actually an EB4 or something else? If it it an EB4, then possible that the wattage of that small pump is too low? Similar to trying to plug a small wattage item into 1,2,3,5,6 & 7 on an EB8?
Ok, maybe ignore me, I just read through what you're trying to do & want it "always on".

Doug
01-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Yes its an EB4

patman
01-07-2015, 01:41 AM
If you want them on all the time move the switch in fusion over to on and don't use auto. Then your programming doesn't matter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Doug
01-07-2015, 04:28 PM
If you want them on all the time move the switch in fusion over to on and don't use auto. Then your programming doesn't matter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Did that thanks. Still switches.

Doug
01-10-2015, 02:28 PM
I think part of my problem is my dashboard is still the old one and not like the new Fusion pictures. Or friends dashboard. I try updating the firmware. Seems to be ok but must be doing something wrong as my dashboard remains the same.

Doug
07-25-2015, 09:20 PM
I can't speak..Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg

Added another Energy Bar 4 and same freakin problem. No control. Three outlets switching. Cant find them on Fusion with the plugged in lamp. Blah, blah and so forth.
Im going back to ReefKeeper soon. This is just stupid that its a head scratcher everytime you need to figure something out.

AND I don't remember how I fixed it last time. :twised:

Aquattro
07-25-2015, 10:40 PM
did you update the web pages as well?

Doug
07-25-2015, 11:38 PM
did you update the web pages as well?

Yes. Plus an update that I loaded

Aquattro
07-25-2015, 11:39 PM
I dunno Doug, it's all pretty easy stuff :)

Doug
07-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Apparently not for me, especially when adding another power bar. Last time I tried everything, including all suggestions. Nothing worked until it became simple, whatever the heck it was..:lol:

Doug
07-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Brad do you know if you can delete the ORP read out on Fusion. I gave my ORP probe away.

patman
07-26-2015, 12:50 AM
I don't think you can do it in fusion. I think you have to use the regular Apex programming. That may be also your problem with the EB4. I think you still have to use the Apex programming change some things. Not everything works automatically.

Doug
07-26-2015, 01:09 AM
I don't think you can do it in fusion. I think you have to use the regular Apex programming. That may be also your problem with the EB4. I think you still have to use the Apex programming change some things. Not everything works automatically.

That worked for turning off the ORP probe. Now to get it to work on the Energy Bar

And what kind of stupid thing has to be hard wire instead of wifi to do an update. ?????????????????????

reefwithareefer
07-26-2015, 04:05 PM
You can add people via fusion and give them different levels of access to your apex. This way a person can look at your coding etc and tell you what may be the problem instead of trying to explain it etc.
There are different levels of access, starting at view only all the way to full admin status.

reefwithareefer
07-26-2015, 04:20 PM
That worked for turning off the ORP probe. Now to get it to work on the Energy Bar

And what kind of stupid thing has to be hard wire instead of wifi to do an update. ?????????????????????

Wifi can be unreliable and interrupt the firmware install, which can really screw your Apex.

I remember having a similar issue as you. I am trying to think of what exactly caused it . My skimmer outlet would always go on and off. Pretty sure I had to unplug the "usb" connectors to everything, then plug each one in after the apex recognized each one. I have had to do this a few times , for various reasons and it always worked. I left the base units power on. but unplugged everything else, then plugged each units power in, then plugged in the "USB". Apex support ran me thru it, as it was their suggestion.

Have you looked at the "module setup" in the apex controller, under the configuration tab? It should give some insight as to whether it is "OK"

I think another time, I programmed an outlet to shut another one down "IF" something happened. I forgot I had programmed that in. so I read thru each outlets programming...

Found the support ticket from Apex

The results here indicate something is shorting out your aquabus. It could be the transceiver in the base unit is blown or one of the modules is shorting it out.

To determine if is is a device/cable shorting out the bus:

Remove all aquabus devices from the base unit (including the display screen).
Now reconnect only your Energy Bar to the base unit. Does the base unit and Energy Bar produce a solid green status light?
If not, then try another cable with that EB8
If not, then try another EB8 and continue to swap cables.

Let me know how it goes.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Please Reference Ticket: http://neptunesystems.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/30532

Thank you,

Neptune Systems Support Team

-------------------------------------
Paul Jansen
Neptune Systems Support
T: 408-779-4090

Doug
07-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Thank-you for all the info. Im off to try some of it. Back shortly.

Doug
07-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Found the outlets under the output icon on Fusion. Think I have them all on. However they don't show up on the dashboard, just under the hidden output list.

patman
07-26-2015, 10:12 PM
click on the lock icon on the top right. Should unlock a screen that has the outlets that you can drag onto the dashboard

Doug
07-27-2015, 12:47 AM
click on the lock icon on the top right. Should unlock a screen that has the outlets that you can drag onto the dashboard

Kool. You da man. Worked good. Thank-you.

You guys the best...:D