PDA

View Full Version : sea cuke? maybe??

muck
08-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Referenced from Wetwebmedia.comNeothyonidium magnum Ludwig 1882. Usually only the tentacular crown of this species shows, the rest being buried in the soft substrate... Neat to watch it feed as it "licks" food one "stem" at a time...
I think I have one of these guys in my live rock. Must have been a hitchhiker from someone... (Richer, Bev??) Does anyone have more info or better pictures of these guys. I couldn't find any great ones on the web.
I just happened to notice it when I was doing the nightly 1 hour stare. :mrgreen:

Its dark maroonish colored and the branches were filtering something (food?) out of the water. The arms were extended and every couple seconds one would retract then extend again. I think I scared it though and all the arms retracted up in to a lump in a crevice in the rock.

Got to love all the great stuff about this hobby. Here is a not so great picture I did manage to find though...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sulawesi.biologie.sous-marine/ECHINODERMESholothurides/images/previews/preview13.jpg

Quinn
08-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Seems like you've identified it. Nice score. How big is it?

muck
08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
About a half inch or so lump. Hard to tell, its in a crevice.
The arms extend about an inch.
Looks really cool when he "feeds" :biggrin: