PDA

View Full Version : Crap Skimmer pump died...

dcw1sfu
08-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Well my protein skimmer pump must of died because it wont turn on tried multiple outlets and no go...

I cant get a new pump probably until at least tuesday. How will my system do with no skimmer running for 4 days. I also run biopellets which really requires a protein skimmer running.

WarDog
08-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Did you try disassembling the pump and clean the impeller? Might be a stupid question but I just wanted to ask.

Ram3500
08-09-2014, 07:41 PM
My skimmer pump just died as well. I ran the system for two weeks with no skimmer no problem but I did take my pellets off line to avoid a tank crash.

Proteus
08-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Ran without a skimmer for week and half on zeo tank. No issues. Though I did a 2liter daily water change during that time. Not sure if it helped but nothing crashed

Dearth
08-09-2014, 09:06 PM
You can run without a skimmer for up to a couple of weeks with no harm.

It's when you lose power heads then that becomes an issue

daplatapus
08-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Is it a Vertex? Mine sometimes refuses to turn too when its shut off. If I keep turning it on and off it starts up eventually. I have sometimes been successful with pulling the needle wheel and cleaning it really good, putting it back together and trying it again. Sometimes it just takes leaving it alone for an hour then trying to turn it on and off again.

dcw1sfu
08-11-2014, 02:54 AM
Tanks looking fine I will have the new pump Tuesday so that will only be 4 days without a skimmer. I tried vinegar bathing and cleaning the pump but ended up getting one hell of a shock when sticking my hand in the water with it so Yeh it's toast and now an electrical hazard. I'm glad I got it before it fried my tank especially since it be out of town for the weeks comming up.

I hope the skimmer pump only takes a couple days to break in and fine tune with the skimmer before I leave.

Oh and it's a Reef octopus skimmer.

mike31154
08-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Not sure it's feasible in your case, but as an interim measure could you try & fit a wooden air stone with air pump into the body of the skimmer? All you'd need is an air pump, tubing & some way to slowly move the water through the skimmer body. Kind of back to old school, but might work well enough while you wait for the new pump.