PDA

View Full Version : Not related to reefing BUT I need HELP

jason604
08-06-2014, 07:20 PM
For the past week we been noticing more raccoon behavior around my koi pond than normal. They use to just come n take baths on the small stream we made to lead to the pond. We have a mesh covering the whole thing so it's never been a problem until recently that they smartened up n tore the net in certain areas that gives them easy access to the pond. Yestersay my dad notice one of our 12" koi was acting weird n there was a tear in the mesh n the water reaked so we fishes him out to medicate him thinking he's sick. Then today he died and after inspection we saw teeth puncture wounds on the underside of his belly!! Does any1 know of a good way to repel raccoon. We got a lot of high end koi fishes in our pond and would hate to see more go like that. Currently pointing a motion sensor light in the direction of the pond but that doesn't seem to scare them.

nerdz
08-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I recall hearing of people using electric fences.... you can go to Princess Auto or a agricultural supply type store.

tlhood
08-06-2014, 07:32 PM
some people deter them with ammonia, vinegar, epsom salts, moth balls...

Apparently they hate the smell of moth balls (which are toxic to small animals) and ammonia (soaked in a sponge or open bottle), and epsom salts (which apparently also help fertilize grass).

We don't have any racoons around here so I wouldn't know if these actually work. I believe there are also commercially sold racoon repellants.

WarDog
08-06-2014, 07:35 PM
You could get a big dog!

jason604
08-06-2014, 08:49 PM
You could get a big dog!

My big dog died last year =(. I got small dogs so poisons will be a nono. I can try hanging some bags of moth balls around the tank. My tank is about 18'x10' so I would need a ton of those electric fences n my pond would look hideous after. Any1 else have experience with getting rid of these jerks!!

TimT
08-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Raccoons can do a lot of damage to a big dog. I wouldn't recommend a dog for raccoons.

Since raccoons are also a threat to your small dogs you may want to find out where they are getting into your yard and seal it off. You may need to run a hot wire on the top of any fencing to keep them out. They are very good climbers.

asylumdown
08-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Raccoons can do a lot of damage to a big dog. I wouldn't recommend a dog for raccoons.

Since raccoons are also a threat to your small dogs you may want to find out where they are getting into your yard and seal it off. You may need to run a hot wire on the top of any fencing to keep them out. They are very good climbers.

+1. Best is to keep them out of the yard period. Or invest in a large pet eagle and let nature take it's course.

jason604
08-06-2014, 09:51 PM
+1. Best is to keep them out of the yard period. Or invest in a large pet eagle and let nature take it's course.

Lol that be so sick!!! I heard that they are scared of chayote urine. Anyone no where I can buy some of the synthic spray version?

toytech
08-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Paint ball guns are quiet and deter a lot of things , wont kill them either , would recommend a 22 cal pellet gun but racoons aren't really good eating .

WarDog
08-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Google 'CFHS', lots of good info on discouraging raccoons and other nuicense wildlife. I'd provide a link but my phone can't copy and paste.

Ryanerickson
08-07-2014, 12:04 AM
There is something I think called a scarecrow water sprayer it work off a sensor and sprays when they approach it hooks up to your hose.

AquaPin
08-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Every year (10+) they pester my pond, some years worse then others. I have tried live traps, removed 5 in one year...waste of time. Coyote urine works until it rains, same issue with other odour deterrents. Finally accepted they will come around, so I made some changes to the pond instead.

- Black PVC under heavy rocks for fish to hide in when under attack
- Plants are in black milk crates surrounded with rock work so they no longer get tipped or bothered.
- Lots of blackberry bush (dead vines) under the plants near the bubble beach side of the pond and anywhere else they have entered.

Since these changes fish loss has been minimal, no damage to the pond except my lilipads keep getting ripped off the base. I considered electric fence or a water sprayer, but did not want anything to change the natural esthetics.

Hope you find a solution that works for your pond.

gregzz4
08-07-2014, 01:28 AM
We used to have a problem with 'coons coming in the cat door to eat the kibbles
The cats would wake us up with their screaming so I kept my pellet gun near the bed ...
Next time they arrived I chased them out of the house with the gun, and then across the yard. Each shot in the rump elicited a yelp

They never came up our stairs again, and no more vet bills due to 'coon fights

Kinda cruel but, with a low velocity gun it only stings

I did the same thing with crows and they leave our trees alone now

jason604
08-07-2014, 01:36 AM
Shooting seems fun but they come around so late at night n at random times so I won't no when to go ou back cap them in the ass lol. I do have a few garbage bins in my pond for fishes to hide. Mybe I should put more? Does any1 know where I can get coyote urine around Vancouver since it hasn't been raining much. Dunno how they coming into my yard. Can raccoons climb over 6 ft fences?

gregzz4
08-07-2014, 01:40 AM
Can raccoons climb over 6 ft fences?
They will climb/swim/burrow etc for food - especially tasty fishies :mrgreen:
I saw a show recently where they were swimming across a lake to eat Heron (I think it was ?, or maybe Cranes) babies in treetop nests
Nearly all the birds vanished until the peeps used wildlife cameras to find the cause of the population crash

kien
08-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Moved to Ponds & Koi forum :-)

Although I have never had a 'coon problem I did have a badger living under my front porch once. I went to the SPCA and got a small cat/animal trap, baited it with cat food and voila! I did end up catching a stray cat first though, but the second night I caught the badger and relocated it. Might work for the 'coon as well. I've seen these kinds of traps sold at farming supply stores like UFA as well.

gregzz4
08-07-2014, 02:02 AM
Problem with a live trap is first you have a really peed off dangerous animal to deal with

Secondly, they know where you live and will keep coming back, unless you drive them to another city :razz:, and that may not be so great for their family

kien
08-07-2014, 02:05 AM
Problem with a live trap is first you have a really peed off dangerous animal to deal with

Secondly, they know where you live and will keep coming back, unless you drive them to another city :razz:

Good point :lol:

Are you allowed to kill raccoons ? I think the city's animal control could help you dispose of it appropriately.

gregzz4
08-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I'm sure there are some that are 'allowed' to kill them, but not in the GVRD

All kidding aside, there's no avenue I know of that won't cost you money to deal with pests in the city
They're not a hazzard, nor are they a hazzard to themselves, so you're stuck dealing with them personally

This is why I chose the 'shot to the bum' solution
Although I'm sure it's illegal, my gun is low velocity enough to not break the skin so no biggie - just a big surprise and a bruise to lick

sphelps
08-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Propane cannon with motion sensor :mrgreen:

darb
08-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Buy a tent, get some used hockey gear, camp out and take a stand.

It is a free food smorgasbord to a wild animal, it is going to take some degree of effort to outwill them.

What about covering the pond with steel square grid stucco mesh or chicken wire?

jason604
08-10-2014, 11:47 PM
ok bought 1 of those solar powered sticks u stab into the ground and it emits a sound wave that scare away racoons. So far its been 4 days with no racoons. BTH it seems to repel humans as well lol. If u stand too close to it it actually hurts your ears. All well atleast those damn coons are gone for now. Plus it only costed around 20 bucks and doesnt ruin the look of the pond which is the main part

Ryanerickson
08-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Where you get?

hunggi74
08-11-2014, 05:10 AM
I think I saw them at Costco last week.

duncangweller
08-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Yeah they have them at Costco

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jason604
08-15-2014, 07:38 AM
ya got it from costco..its amazing! no coons still!