PDA

View Full Version : New to sw, have a question about my sand..

gottafindnemo
08-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Heyy! Sorry if thisbisbthe wrong place to post... Im about to start up my first sw tank. Itll be a 25 gallon reef + fish. Wondering how i wash my live sand... I was told need to wash it it dechlorinated water, and not haveing am ro system.makes that a little difficult and expensive with store bought water. Can i use the low low nitrate water out of my discus tank to wash the sand?

Aquattro
08-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I've always washed my sand with tap water. You're fine doing the same.

reefwars
08-05-2014, 11:34 PM
i agree fresh tap water is fine to use:)

eli@fijireefrock.com
08-05-2014, 11:36 PM
In a bucket with a garden hose will do the trick.

Dearth
08-05-2014, 11:50 PM
In a bucket with a garden hose will do the trick.

+1

And welcome to Canreef

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Wondering how i wash my live sand?

If you bought a bag of "live" sand such as Arag-Alive then you don't wash it at all. If it's just a bag of dry sand then tap water is just fine.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Yeah its a bag of live sand from big als, i was told i should be useing dechlorinated water. It does make sence to me but if u guys say i can use just straight tap water thats alot simpler! Would i still be able to use the basically pristine water from my discus tank to wash it?

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Thank you guys for the quick replys! Discus are moving into there new tank in the next day or 2 and the tank they are in now is being tranformed into my first sw :)

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:32 AM
If you bought a bag of "live" sand such as Arag-Alive then you don't wash it at all. If it's just a bag of dry sand then tap water is just fine.
Its a 20lb bag of ocean dirrect caribbean live sand

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Don't wash it then, it is made to just add directly to the tank. Caribsea's website has a faq's section that covers their Ocean Direct products if you want to check it out.

Aquattro
08-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Yeah its a bag of live sand from big als, i was told i should be useing dechlorinated water. It does make sence to me but if u guys say i can use just straight tap water thats alot simpler! Would i still be able to use the basically pristine water from my discus tank to wash it?

Collectively, we have a bit more experience than Big Als. Trust us, you can use the hose and a bucket. However, if you have sand that is "live", which is packed in water, you don't wash that. Leave your discus water in the discus tank.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:41 AM
The power heads wont make it overly cloudy? Will be a 600gph and a 425gph powerheads, and live rock as my filtration. And mext question is, if i just add it straight in then add water. Should i let it settle before putting power heads in? Still have to order my lr

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Collectively, we have a bit more experience than Big Als. Trust us, you can use the hose and a bucket. However, if you have sand that is "live", which is packed in water, you don't wash that. Leave your discus water in the discus tank.
Wasnt someone from big als that advised me to use dechlorinated water or ro water to rinse my sand lol sorry missed ur comment cuz i didnt know ibhad to go tobthe second page haha so with this bag of carrib sea, i dont or i do have to wash it? Gettin confused with the one person saying i dont have to and others saying i can use straight tap water haha

reefwars
08-06-2014, 12:44 AM
The power heads wont make it overly cloudy? Will be a 600gph and a 425gph powerheads, and live rock as my filtration. And mext question is, if i just add it straight in then add water. Should i let it settle before putting power heads in? Still have to order my lr

yes leave your power heads off , mix your salt water outside of the tank then add it , dont mix salt in the tank with sand in there , i add my sand after water but either is fine as its a mess anyways .

liverock can go in after or before but i prefer afterwards to keep things clean:)

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:46 AM
yes leave your power heads off , mix your salt water outside of the tank then add it , dont mix salt in the tank with sand in there , i add my sand after water but either is fine as its a mess anyways .

liverock can go in after or before but i prefer afterwards to keep things clean:)
Okay, so. Can i wash sand, fill tank with water, mix in salt, then add sand? Ive added sand after tanks full of water lots in my fw tanks lol slow process but ive never had it cloud up :D

reefwars
08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Wasnt someone from big als that advised me to use dechlorinated water or ro water to rinse my sand lol sorry missed ur comment cuz i didnt know ibhad to go tobthe second page haha so with this bag of carrib sea, i dont or i do have to wash it? Gettin confused with the one person saying i dont have to and others saying i can use straight tap water haha

if its live sand then it has bacteria ( how much is questionable and what kinds) in it as well some die off , this does not need to be rinsed as you are planning a cycle.

if the sand was never live and is dry ( no liquid in the bag) then it needs to be rinsed as it has dust in it .

reefwars
08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Okay, so. Can i wash sand, fill tank with water, mix in salt, then add sand? Ive added sand after tanks full of water lots in my fw tanks lol slow process but ive never had it cloud up :D

thats a fine plan:)

will take a few days or more to clear up , once you add the rock it will clear up faster:)

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:48 AM
if its live sand then it has bacteria ( how much is questionable and what kinds) in it as well some die off , this does not need to be rinsed as you are planning a cycle.

if the sand was never live and is dry ( no liquid in the bag) then it needs to be rinsed as it has dust in it .
So then the sand i have is classed as dry sand?

reefwars
08-06-2014, 12:48 AM

is it dry?

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 12:49 AM

Don't wash it. Dry sand needs lots of rinsing but live sand doesn't need any. The theory behind the live sand is that it is full of beneficial bacteria that will shorten your cycle time for a new tank.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:49 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/06/neneheqa.jpg

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Why do they call it live if its dry?

intarsiabox

Ocean Direct is live sand and does have moisture in it, at least it should or your bag got dried out.

reefwars
Don't wash it. Dry sand needs lots of rinsing but live sand doesn't need any. The theory behind the live sand is that it is full of beneficial bacteria that will shorten your cycle time for a new tank.

or enough die off to build a bacteria population....of which i think neither is needed lol

reefwars
08-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Why do they call it live if its dry?

because its not dry its " moist " enough to keep the bacteria alive and produce organics that feul your cycle.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Ocean Direct is live sand and does have moisture in it, at least it should or your bag got dried out.
Oh man this is confuseing bahah im used to just buying silica sand, washing it well and puttin it in baha live. Dry. Wet. Blahblahblah is confuseing me baha

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:53 AM
because its not dry its " moist " enough to keep the bacteria alive and produce organics that feul your cycle.
I get it sorta now.. Is thatbwhy theres a little packet of something in it? To keep it "moist"

gregzz4
Sea sand is probably a lot finer than anything you've encountered in your freshwater experiences ... so keep your powerheads off long enough for the sand to settle or you'll grind them to death with all the fine sediment floating around

'Live' sand has bacteria in it that some feel helps start or 'seed' a new tank
If you're going to use true, wet-in-the-bag 'Live' sand then DO NOT wash it
If you're able to mix up your new salt water outside the tank, add the sand first and then slowly add the water
If you need to mix the salt in the tank first then, as reefwars stated, add the sand after the salt is mixed

intarsiabox
or enough die off to build a bacteria population....of which i think neither is needed lol

I don't bother with it myself. Cheaper to buy dry and wait a bit.

reefwars
Oh man this is confuseing bahah im used to just buying silica sand, washing it well and puttin it in baha live. Dry. Wet. Blahblahblah is confuseing me baha

add salt water to tank , add sand to tank as is .........confusion over my friend lol :)

gottafindnemo
So this sand will kick start my.cycle a little bit before i add the live rock? And then the die off from lr i order will do the rest of the cycle?

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 12:55 AM
add salt water to tank , add sand to tank as is .........confusion over my friend lol :)

Yep, no rinsing required.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Okay so! No washing sand. Ad water. Then salt. Turn power head on n let it mix... Then turn power heads off and add sand? Correcto? Everyone agree this is good? Hahah havent even got my first sw tank setup yet and already confused beyon beleif bahah

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Okay so! No washing sand. Ad water. Then salt. Turn power head on n let it mix... Then turn power heads off and add sand? Correcto? Everyone agree this is good? Hahah havent even got my first sw tank setup yet and already confused beyon beleif bahah

Correct, I would have a heater in there too, temperature changes the salinity readings.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Correct, I would have a heater in there too, temperature changes the salinity readings.
Yeah heater to lol what temp.shoulf i be lookin at for cycleing? I always max out my heaters in fw tanks to cycle

reefwars
08-06-2014, 01:01 AM
You got er:)

You'll be fine relax all in all if this step gets messed up there's no bad effects to be had just a little extra work:)

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Yeah heater to lol what temp.shoulf i be lookin at for cycleing? I always max out my heaters in fw tanks to cycle

I like to keep my tanks around 77-78 degrees.

reefwars
08-06-2014, 01:02 AM
78-80 is fine

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 01:04 AM
You got er:)

You'll be fine relax all in all if this step gets messed up there's no bad effects to be had just a little extra work:)
Thanks! Haha everythings sooooo different the fw. Im assumeing once its all up and goin itll get easier haha if this goes well, when i upgrade my arowana to a 10 foot tank, my 240gallom fw tank will be converted to sw to

reefwars
08-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Make sure your old tanks have never had copper in them , marine inverts cannot handle the same amounts of copper as freshwater even just the silicone can cause issues.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Make sure your old tanks have never had copper in them , marine inverts cannot handle the same amounts of copper as freshwater even just the silicone can cause issues.
I dont use copper for anything, and reseal every used tank i buy :) have luckily never had to use chemicals to treat anything. Worst thing ive had was ick and that was in quarantine tank. Gunna clean the tank im converting to salt really well before i do tho

reefwars
08-06-2014, 01:14 AM
A rinse in vinegar is fine if you know the tanks history:)

Are you running a sump?

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Nope no sump, rock, power heads and hob skimmer

Madreefer
08-06-2014, 05:04 AM
Do you guys really think that the so called live sand they sell is live or have any beneficial bacteria in it after sitting in those bags for a long time? I don't. Gimmick. But that's just my negative opinion.:lol: I'd rinse it. Only time I wouldn't is if a buddy took a cup or so out of his well established tank. Now that's live sand to me

WarDog
08-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Do you guys really think that the so called live sand they sell is live or have any beneficial bacteria in it after sitting in those bags for a long time? I don't. Gimmick. But that's just my negative opinion.:lol: I'd rinse it. Only time I wouldn't is if a buddy took a cup or so out of his well established tank. Now that's live sand to me

You're probably right Madreefer, to a point. Its been proven that bacteria can survive anywhere on Earth, from the highest peaks, to miles and miles down in the crust. They can also survive extreme conditions in temperatures and high and low atmospheric pressures that would turn us to jello. Damn... they even think it can survive thousands of years on asteroids and comets (although this has not been proven). Seems bacteria can go into a hibernation like state. I'm sure a few months stuck in a plastic bag doesn't have much of an effect on these little critters. I'm sure there is some die off, but lots survive.... and given the right conditions they multiple like... bacteria, Lol.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Im with u madreefer on the sceptism on bateria in a bag. Haha ivr always told ppl to not waste there money on the bb in a bottle for fw tanks. But im just gunna go with it on this, if it does anything then cool, if not then oh well haha ive decided that .gunna go buy a premix/holding tank tommorrow. Gunna pre.mix a bunch of water and add samd first then pump water from.the brute container into tank

Dearth
08-06-2014, 08:58 AM
No matter how you just to add your water and sand be prepared for a dust bowl for up to a couple of days.

You can add a few pieces of rock after all the water/sand has been added and the rock will actually help clear the fine dust considerably faster.

One of the most frustrating things about starting up a new tank is the cycling it can cycle in a matter of days or 2 or 3 weeks and by cycling I mean a brown algae referred to as a diatom bloom which is completely normal and it will cover everything.

In this hobby patience is key don't rush and never ever be afraid to ask questions tons of knowledgable people on this site.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 09:09 AM
No matter how you just to add your water and sand be prepared for a dust bowl for up to a couple of days.

You can add a few pieces of rock after all the water/sand has been added and the rock will actually help clear the fine dust considerably faster.

One of the most frustrating things about starting up a new tank is the cycling it can cycle in a matter of days or 2 or 3 weeks and by cycling I mean a brown algae referred to as a diatom bloom which is completely normal and it will cover everything.

In this hobby patience is key don't rush and never ever be afraid to ask questions tons of knowledgable people on this site.
Yeah, i plan to add water and sand in the next day or 2, gunna leave power heads off until i get live rock. Hopefully ordering my lr from j&l on friday. Not sure what you mean about diatom and brown stuff covering everything lol from my experiemce with fw i know about cycleing tho, doesnt seem to be much diffrent to cycle fw and sw

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Will brown algea go away? Haha or isbthat why ibwas advised to add cuc first after cycle is done

Dearth
08-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Your diatom bloom once it appears will happen over the course of a few days starting off small then gradually cover almost the entire tank it will be brown in colour then you can add your CuC which will start eating the bloom and then start another diatom bloom that will start another cycle. This is common to almost all new tank setups.

Diatom blooms basically start the seeding process if you will of bacteria in the tank which the inhabitants of the tank require

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Your diatom bloom once it appears will happen over the course of a few days starting off small then gradually cover almost the entire tank it will be brown in colour then you can add your CuC which will start eating the bloom and then start another diatom bloom that will start another cycle. This is common to almost all new tank setups.

Diatom blooms basically start the seeding process if you will of bacteria in the tank which the inhabitants of the tank require
So, the blooms happen during cycle, my cuc wont die if i add them during cycle? Sorry if these questions are stupid lol

Madreefer
08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
So, the blooms happen during cycle, my cuc wont die if i add them during cycle? Sorry if these questions are stupid lol

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I've setup several tanks over the years and have never seen any diatom blooms. But months later I've had red cyano pop up. Some people have had all different kinds of blooms suddenly appear years in. That all depends on several factors. You might want to add some test kits to your order and learn to use them. A tip when adding your sand is to fill up your tank and add sand last. Don't just dump it in but fill up a large bowl and reach in and slowly distribute it along the bottom. Way less cloud action happens. Your gonna get a wet arm but get used to it if you stick it out in the hobby.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I've setup several tanks over the years and have never seen any diatom blooms. But months later I've had red cyano pop up. Some people have had all different kinds of blooms suddenly appear years in. That all depends on several factors. You might want to add some test kits to your order and learn to use them. A tip when adding your sand is to fill up your tank and add sand last. Don't just dump it in but fill up a large bowl and reach in and slowly distribute it along the bottom. Way less cloud action happens. Your gonna get a wet arm but get used to it if you stick it out in the hobby.
Oh im well used to the wet arms haha i cant even reach the bottom my 240, i have an api sw master test kit. Inuse the api master trst kit for my fw that ive found is the best

tlhood
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
If you plan on getting any gobies (like YWG) or anythign that tunnels, I would suggest putting the rock in first, then lay the sand. That way if someone digs a tunnel, it doesn't risk shifting your rocks.

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
If you plan on getting any gobies (like YWG) or anythign that tunnels, I would suggest putting the rock in first, then lay the sand. That way if someone digs a tunnel, it doesn't risk shifting your rocks.
I heard that you can super glue rocks together? Is that true??

asylumdown
08-06-2014, 07:01 PM
True if you have the patience of Job and don't mind your glue job looking like garbage until coralline covers it (many months on a new tank). Also, glue tends to get brittle over time and will more than likely crack at some point.

If your'e working with any of the typical reef type rocks, you'll need a ton of glue to properly hold them together. You'll also make a huge mess and probably glue bits of yourself to your rocks, your fingers, and large quantities of paper towel.

Epoxy is much nicer to work with. There are some epoxies specifically designed to hold rock structures together. A sponsor here used to sell one called Fijicrete but I can't find reference to it on their site anymore so they might have stopped carrying it.

Dearth
08-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Sorry if these questions are stupid lol

The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked

gottafindnemo
08-06-2014, 10:01 PM
The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked
Touché haha

intarsiabox
08-06-2014, 10:52 PM
I heard that you can super glue rocks together? Is that true??

It would take a ton of super glue but you can use it. I prefer to use a masonary bit to drill holes for clear acrylic rods and black zip ties in non-visible places.