PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gal - t'was supposed to be a QT ...

Shy_Koi
08-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I originally set up a 20 g in February, to be used as a QT, but it was taking forever to get the display tank finalized. I finally got bored and started adding a few critters...

http://www.hempspirit.com/Aug-23.jpg

Had a bit of trouble with a burgundy-coloured furry algea, that hitch hiked in on a coral rock. It doesn't grow on the sandbed, just climbs the LR in places, and is now fading to a tannish colour. It seems to be receding a bit lately.
I quess it's sort of a nano now....
Inhabitants:
- small TR true perc that's currently hosting a small RBTA
- b/g chromis'
- cleaner shrimp
- emerald crab
- 2 scarlet hermits
- 2 blue leg hermits
- 2 turbo snails
- lg feather duster
- fighting conch
- blue & red mushroom rocks
- ricordia mushrooms
- candycane
- green frilly mushrooms
- small colony of zoos
- green star polyps
- fungia
- finger leather
_________
~Tamara

DEAD_BY_DAWN
08-24-2004, 08:31 AM
looking really great,i was wondering what equpment you are useing .

Shy_Koi
08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks!
It needs alot of cleaning up, re: that darn red algae. I'll get serious about tackling it when I finally get everything moved to a larger tank and have a skimmer running.
Lights are 1 - 96w PC with 2 x 30w actinic's in a ghetto hood - the ends of the lamps stick out over the edges of the tank :eek:
No skimmer...
2 x MaxiJet 600's
75w Ebojaeger heater
20# LR (Manado & Haitian)
RO/DI water (Aquasafe)
IV drip set with milk jug, for top off H2O
The system is located in my hobby room and sits on a piece of plywood over an old treadle sewing machine - DH warns me that it had better look ALOT prettier when relocated to the living room :lol:

I test daily with a refracto and pH pen, and everything (so far...) stays fairly stable except for a nightly pH drop, and I'm working on that...
Param's (Salifert):
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
SG - 1.025
pH - 7.9 - 8.2
CA - 380 - 400
dKH - 10.5 - 11

~Tamara

Bob I
08-24-2004, 04:03 PM
The tank looks nice. I have a similar setup, but with a 15G tank. It started out as a quarantine tank, but the fish died. I just added more rock, and am slowly adding my "For Sale" zoanthid frags. I will have to add a fish too. Then again I might change the 15 to my spare 20. Who knows :question:

Shy_Koi
08-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks Bob,
I must be suffering from old timer's disease :eek:
The tank is actually a 15g - I have no idea where i pulled 20g from...
24 x 12 x 12.5 ?
~Tamara, who's losing it...