PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Location

Jaws
07-31-2014, 02:42 PM
I was just wondering if anyone could offer any insight into where I should place my chiller. I have a dedicated and closed off fish room at the back of my garage just for my sump, fuge, and frag tank plus all my equipment. The main tank is in the other room. The fish room gets quite hot and humid in the summertime but I haven't finished installing a ceiling fan yet. I'm just wondering if one ceiling fan is enough to ventilate the entire room with all the heat it's going to give off between the lights and the chiller or if I should run it into the garage, which will pump a lot of heat into there, or even outside, which might be an issue when it freezes in the winter. The garage isn't totally insulated either. I should mention the chiller is a half horse as well. Thanks for your help :)

Aquattro
07-31-2014, 02:54 PM
If you put it in the room, it will boil your sump. Promise. I would plumb it outside the room, near the gate, and build an enclosure for it. If you don't want to do that, put it in the garage. I run mine in a utility room outside, and it heats the whole room.

Jaws
07-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Do you find it creates any moisture at all? I don't want anymore moisture in my garage.

Ryanerickson
07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
I stuck a wall up in my garage and made a fish room sounds like your set up I put the chiller in tank room but cut a hole in the wall and put the back of the chiller up to the hole then sealed with foil tape that has worked great for me all the heat stays in the other half of garage. I find the front half with out sump gets very hot but not moist.

Aquattro
07-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Do you find it creates any moisture at all? I don't want anymore moisture in my garage.

Never noticed any.

Jaws
07-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Ya, I'm thinking my garage is probably the best place for it. At least it's out of the weather there and it can provide a bit of heat for the garage too.