PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Omega 150 - not skimming as usual

kamloops_reefer
07-31-2014, 05:07 AM
I've had this skimmer for just over a year now, and have used it off and on 3 times now between moves. This time, the skimmer just doesn't seem to 'dry skim' very well. Rather than fine bubbles at the top, they are quite large but for the most part the bubble level is just below/above the connection of the skimmer cup during normal operation. Every morning I get some skim, although not quite as thick as I'm used it - its watered down quite a bit. If I adjust it to skim more with the pump output pipe / angular discharge it over skims eventually. I've had past problems (and vertex replaced) with the needle wheel in the past, has anyone had similar problems and offer any solutions? I've already taken the motor apart and rinsed clean - went from over skimming to under skimming. perhaps there is some finicky step I've overlooked.

Ron99
07-31-2014, 06:22 AM
Have you tried cleaning out the airline and venturi where the airline goes in? Salt creep etc in there can restrict airflow. Mine is skimming dark crap with no problems. Is your bioload lower than it was before?

kamloops_reefer
07-31-2014, 09:50 PM
I rinsed out the foam muffler
have blown air back through the tube (with mouth) all seems to be free and clear. and I believe when that gets clogged it really over skims.

will take apart again, perhaps there is a loose 'O' ring etc. it all comes down to the inconsistent bubbles, so I'm suspecting the motor / needle wheel (again).

reidcam
07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
I have the same skimmer and I hate it. I have the same problem your having going to replace it with a swc

gregzz4
08-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Have you tried cleaning out the airline and venturi where the airline goes in? Salt creep etc in there can restrict airflow. Mine is skimming dark crap with no problems. Is your bioload lower than it was before?
What Ron is getting at is you may need to clean Calcium deposits out of the inside of the venturi - the part that introduces air to the pump

I had a problem with mine last year and found it takes too long to effectively clean it out quickly, so I bought a spare for my Skimz and keep one soaking in vinegar all week. Then I scrub it out with a jewellers flathead screwdriver before use
I clean my skimmer weekly and swap the venturis everytime

jordsyke
08-01-2014, 01:13 AM
also having this problem, if you solve it please inform us :D I have tried different height levels in my sump, I have a csc skimmer in next chamber and it is pulling crud out pretty good so I know it can skim better :D

Ron99
08-01-2014, 05:56 AM
I'm not sure why people have so many problems save for bad impellers which were an issue (and may still be). I know Vertex is working on a completely revised impeller and I suspect anyone with problems will get that once it's done. The pump motor blocks themselves are pretty much bullet proof.

Otherwise, all I can say is mine is working just fine pulling out dark green/brown stinky dry skimmate all day long. They do better in 7 or so inches of water than 9 or 10 and in a chamber with a stable water level. The only time it stops skimming is if I've put something in the tank and oils from my hand maybe affect it etc. But it always goes back to normal.

The Guy
08-01-2014, 04:12 PM
I've had my 150 since the xmas sale at J&L 2013 Before I ran it in the sump I ran it in vinegar mixed water for 48 hours for break in, put it in and it dailed in perfect within a day. I've removed it and totally tore it down for a full cleaning once only, but have cleaned the air tube and muffler a few times. Have not had any issues with the needle wheel yet, fingers crossed! :lol:

jordsyke
08-02-2014, 04:12 PM
So I took my skimmer all apart and impeller is still fine, what I did find was the output tube (red) coming off my pump was loose, now that I have tightened it up all the way my skimer is working very good now.... maybe when it is tightened it spins the water.air mixture out better into the casing?

Ron99
08-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Probably had water etc leaking out from there and reducing the pressure of the output which affected your skimming. Good that it works now :)

kamloops_reefer
08-02-2014, 09:00 PM
sounds like this could be probable for me as well - I haven't taken it out to check but going off of memory that I prioritized the mitre cut of the red tube to match the radius / angle of the inner skimmer tube. I had to back the tube off a tad so it wasn't completely tight - will confirm later

kamloops_reefer
08-26-2014, 05:49 PM
the skimmer appeared as if it was going to work properly after I had taken it all apart. I not have the riser tube almost completely closed, while sitting in a steady 8" of water. I've had this skimmer running twice before without this concern. it almost seems as if the bubbles I'm getting are different, almost as if anything that spills over into the collection cup is watered down, rather than thick and dark (as before)

Ron99
08-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Mine started overflowing about a week ago. I pulled the pump head, unscrewed the venturi from the front. Gave it all a vinegar soak and scrub with an old toothbrush and it started working normally as before. I think the Omegas are very sensitive that way but periodic cleaning should help. Hopefully you can sort yours out too as mine skims a nice dark smelly soup 99.9% of the time.