PDA

View Full Version : De-humidifier's?? do they work?

chicki
08-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Does anyone use one of these items? If so, how are they working for you?
I think I'll have to do something this winter before my house rot's away.
thanks

Quinn
08-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I was happy with mine, it removed a few gallons of water from the air every few days and noticeably reduced the amount of ice on my windows, which is what I wanted it to do. I can't recall the power of mine however.

Dez
08-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah, they do reduce weeping windows significantly. They are loud though.... If I had the money, I would have gotten some sort of a central unit..

des

Gools
08-23-2004, 08:39 PM
I would have to agree with using them too. I can notice a signifficant difference in the air by just breathing, it feels heavy. But after a few days of running mine, the air feels dryer and lighter.

Doug
08-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Does anyone use one of these items? If so, how are they working for you?
I think I'll have to do something this winter before my house rot's away.
thanks

They work excellent but are a dandy power consumer. The best for you, esp. in the winter is a Heat Recovery Ventilator. Exhausts all the stale humid air and replaces it with dry air, {in the winter that is}.

Best for the summer is the use of central air and/or de-humidifiers, plus perhaps venting some of the tank air, direct outside.

All of this would be esp. important for someone with the volume of water you have.

chicki
08-24-2004, 02:48 AM
thanks, but whats a heat recovery vent system?

Doug
08-24-2004, 01:15 PM
thanks, but whats a heat recovery vent system?

Its a whole house air exchanger. They are now standard in all new homes, I believe even in the building code.

It takes exaust from several ports in the house and passes it through a core in the exchanger on the way outside. Fresh incoming air also passes through the core. This exchange warms the incoming air somewhat, removing the heat from the warm outgoing air. This saves heat, instead of just a straight exaust, like a bathroom fan.

I will try find a website for you if you wish. I believe my Lifebreath is manufactured in Saskatoon.

chicki
08-24-2004, 03:15 PM
thanks,

I actually love the humidity in the winter, don't notice it in the summer. My sunroom is like a jungle, the plants growing huge...because of it. I was thinking if I got a de-humidifier then I could put it on a timer and only remove some of the moisture, not all. It's also nice in the rest of the house where it's not nearly as dry as most homes.

Lynn

PrairieReefer
08-24-2004, 07:07 PM
What size of tank do you have Lynn?

chicki
08-24-2004, 11:49 PM
I have a 220, two 180's and a 160... about 12 gallon a day of evaporation.

Doug
08-25-2004, 01:43 PM
thanks,

I actually love the humidity in the winter, don't notice it in the summer. My sunroom is like a jungle, the plants growing huge...because of it. I was thinking if I got a de-humidifier then I could put it on a timer and only remove some of the moisture, not all. It's also nice in the rest of the house where it's not nearly as dry as most homes.

Lynn

If thats the situation for you, then the de-humidifier should do the job for you. Buy a decent size unit though. I find WalMart has the best sales on them from time to time.

Bryan
09-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Almost all of the newer dehuidifiers have electronic controls that allow you to set the moisture level.

thanks,

Lynn

Invigor
09-06-2004, 01:33 AM

:eek: wow. all marine?

chicki
09-06-2004, 01:46 AM
yup :biggrin:

muck
09-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Does ticketmaster sell tickets for the "Edmonton Aquarium" ?? :mrgreen:

chicki
09-07-2004, 02:51 AM
:biggrin: Well actually I was thinking about hosting a meet one of these times??

Richer
09-07-2004, 04:20 AM
:biggrin: Well actually I was thinking about hosting a meet one of these times??

Sounds like an offer... I accept :mrgreen:

-Richer