PDA

View Full Version : Comparing HRV costs

Craigdillman
07-28-2014, 03:53 AM
Hey me again trying to solve the winter humidity crisis in my house, just been getting quotes on HRV unit and humidity control put in my house wondering how much other peoples cost them or if this is close to average price

1050 square feet Bi-level split tank is upstairs (also where the humidity is)
House 5 years old modular build

They quoted me 2800$ for the unit and installation,

Does that seem fair. Im working on getting a second quote cause i have no idea if thats a good price or to much or fair

Thanks
Craig dillman

WarDog
07-28-2014, 04:15 AM
I'm no HVAC expert by any means, but that seems on the higher side by just a few hundred. Granted I have no idea what unit they are thinking of installing or how much work behind finished walls they have to do.

daplatapus
07-28-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm no help either, been out of the business for over 10 years, my pricing won't be accurate. But I would definitely want to know how they plan on running it for the cost they give you. How many intake vents throughout your house and where they plan to supply the fresh air to. I've seen installations where they stick 1 intake in a hallway and stuff the fresh air supply into the supply air of a furnace because it was less than 5' from the HRV. Definitely not a $2800 install, lol.
Much may depend on the size (cfm) of the unit you're purchasing and the level of installation difficulty. On a fully finished house, obviously the installation will be more difficult than in a house with an unfinished basement that they have access to run piping and such. As for the fresh air supply side for your house, I've had good success piping it into the RETURN AIR side of the HVAC system but if you don't have an HVAC system in your house already, make sure the fresh air supply to your house is somewhere you won't feel drafts from it as this air is typically fairly cool in the cooler months.
Sorry I'm no more help than that... if that was any help at all...

Craigdillman
07-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Ok yea that makes sense, the hrv is going to go in the laundry room which( like you said is less than 5 feet to the furnace and where the AC is outside,

I think the plan was to use the existing duct work in the house which was the 3 cold air returns in the upstairs 1 kitchen 1 livinroom 1 in each bedroom BUT there is no vent in the living room where the tank is so I'm not sure,

I'm just trying to get the best "system" for the house to prevent the almost mold conditions we had last winter

I feel like even if I could get some airflow from the cool dry basement it might be better

Thanks for he advise I don't know much about these things figured if ask

Cheers
Craig

FishyFishy!
07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Definitely get some other quotes to be sure. From what I've read, that seems slightly higher than the norm (average I saw was $2000-2600) when reading through HRV threads.

Can't go wrong with more quotes from different companies. A lot of the bigger companies will price match their competitors as well, so you can always get good prices.

mark
07-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Get second quote and both should be broken down so you can see materials and labour. Not asking for a lot since company would need to do anyway to provide a accurate quote.

BTW I was given a $4000 quote for a install (which I obviously declined)

PoonTang
07-30-2014, 05:05 PM
I just purchased a replacement unit for my house. I got it at cost from a friend who does heat and vent as a living. Cost me $1700

monza
07-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Price seems fine depending on the model they install (bigger is better). I'd get a quote from a couple people for sure.

As a brand I've had good success with this: http://www.lifebreath.com

Good luck, your doing the right thing to fix the issue IMO.

Craigdillman
07-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Just waiting on another quote, yea if rather put the money in now then have mold issues or somthing down the road