PDA

View Full Version : OMG i screwed up...

dcw1sfu
07-25-2014, 08:50 PM
So i was trying to adjust my Alkalinity by turning my alk dosing pump on for about 20 mins to raise it by about 0.5, problem... i left it on for over an hour....

I quickly did a water change as soon as i realized what i had done as i had a fresh batch made. So did about a 20% water change that got PH back under control, however.... My Also is now reading at 9.8 up from 8.0.

Should I be expecting a major crash now???

Lesson learned... Dont be lazy and just add some alk by mixing my sodium carbonate and rodi in a proper ratio if i need to raise it and leave the dosing pumps as they are.

Anyways let me know if i can do anything else to rectify the situation.

denny_C
07-25-2014, 09:01 PM
So i was trying to adjust my Alkalinity by turning my alk dosing pump on for about 20 mins to raise it by about 0.5, problem... i left it on for over an hour....

I quickly did a water change as soon as i realized what i had done as i had a fresh batch made. So did about a 20% water change that got PH back under control, however.... My Also is now reading at 9.8 up from 8.0.

Should I be expecting a major crash now???

Lesson learned... Dont be lazy and just add some alk by mixing my sodium carbonate and rodi in a proper ratio if i need to raise it and leave the dosing pumps as they are.

Anyways let me know if i can do anything else to rectify the situation.

no that is fine , generally its not good to raise more than 1dkh in a sitting but if the corals didnt respond negatively then having a higher dkh is fine and will either drop as its used or you can keep it at that level for comfort sake.

it all comes down to how did your corals react, burnt tips can be expected with high alk jumps in acropora but its not a guarantee:)

you can do a water change with a lower alk salt mix if you want it to drop a bit and there are other ways to lower the alkalinity of fresh salt if it were an emergency but it is not so relax and just monitor the corals:)

sphelps
07-25-2014, 09:32 PM
I use to over dose all the time when I ran a kalk reactor, I'd just would monitor and lower pH by dosing vinegar. As a result never saw any negative effects from the over dose.

dcw1sfu
07-25-2014, 10:31 PM
no that is fine , generally its not good to raise more than 1dkh in a sitting but if the corals didnt respond negatively then having a higher dkh is fine and will either drop as its used or you can keep it at that level for comfort sake.

it all comes down to how did your corals react, burnt tips can be expected with high alk jumps in acropora but its not a guarantee:)

you can do a water change with a lower alk salt mix if you want it to drop a bit and there are other ways to lower the alkalinity of fresh salt if it were an emergency but it is not so relax and just monitor the corals:)

Thanks for the input guys. I see no ill effects from the coral and non from the fish either due to the high PH increase. However i corrected the PH quickly with the water change.

All my SPS still showing great polyp extension so im hoping that i shouldn't see any major issues. Ill just bring my alk down naturally back to around 8 (i believe its best to have it close to 8 when running bio pellets).

johnnyriker22
08-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Should be fine as long as your don't have any ultra sensitive sps or some other sensitive corals.

dcw1sfu
08-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Should be fine as long as your don't have any ultra sensitive sps or some other sensitive corals.

Everything ended up being just fine alk dropped back down to 8 in less than a day. System uses alot of alkalinity.