PDA

View Full Version : Photos from my trip to BC

Quinn
08-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Some photos of my recent week in Kelowna, Vancouver and Tofino. Some tidal pool macro shots about three-quarters through.

http://quinn.quinnhayden.com/photos/bc04_webop/

AJ_77
08-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Nice!

How much for the goat? :wink:

Delphinus
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
The tidepools of the western coast of the Island are fantastic. The diversity of the macroalgaes in particular are really neat. It's also a great opportunity to see a fabulous example of how anemones dig current.

Ahhh .. can't go to the Island this year. :cry: I'll live vicariously through your photos. Thanks for posting them.

Did you go to one of the Gulf Islands as well? What's with the little ferry?

That must have been some whirlwind tour of BC to do all that inside of one week.

muck
08-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Very nice Photos! Been meaning to get out to the island again sometime.
More incentive i guess... :eek:

Thanks for posting them Quinn.

P.S. I can hear all the windshield surgeons calling your name... :razz:

Quinn
08-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Alan, not sure about those goats but my aunt in Innisfail has a large herd, I could inquire for you if you like.

Tony, yes, the anemones were often right in the middle of turbulent channels. The diversity of life was amazing. I took some videos, which I may attempt to convert to DivX and upload, showing the interaction between skulpins and hermits crabs and such. The only thing I thought I might see and didn't was sea urchins, but perhaps they prefer deeper water since their tests might be crushed by the waves. No, I didn't go to any of the gulf islands, you may be looking at a pleasure craft off Wreck Beach or something. We took the ferries from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo and vice-versa.

Muck, it's not just my windshield that needs help! In two years I've turned my car into a rust bucket. We drove from Vancouver to Tofino and back to Kelowna with no real braking ability, due to no brake pads. :lol:

I was impressed by the coast. It was the first time I'd seen the ocean and the tidal pools, which I was particularly looking forward to. I was not dissapointed. Hopefully I can afford to spend a week in Tofino/Ucluelet next summer and share my time between persuing the ocean edge and surfing.

Aquattro
08-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Quinn, you got lucky with weather in Tofino. I was there last week and the fog was so bad we couldn't see 100m. Still nice, but clear skies would have been nicer.

bear27
08-23-2004, 09:49 PM
What model and make of camera did you use I need to buy a digital camera for my trip in december

muck
08-23-2004, 09:57 PM
What model and make of camera did you use I need to buy a digital camera for my trip in december
Check out this link for camera info.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11058

reefhawk
08-24-2004, 07:00 AM
some great pics- makes me pine away for the west coast. Spent many a day as a kid walking the beaches and tide pols of the wet coast prolly why i keep a piece of the ocean in my living room. That pic you took in westbank up glenrosa road looking towards mt. boucherie is like a block and a half from my house man. Next time post you are coming through west bank and i'll buy you a beer and pull up a chair in front of my tank.

Quinn
08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Ah man that's too bad, we were in Westbank on several occasions, damn that floating bridge during rush hour!