PDA

View Full Version : To add a biopellet reactor or not??

dcw1sfu
07-18-2014, 06:22 PM
I have a 60 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. It is a mixed reef primarily with SPS corals. In terms of bioload it is in the medium range. I currently run a reef octopus nwb110 skimmer (I believe its rated up to 100 gallons by manufactuerer and BRS recommends it up to 75gallons). I also am running carbon and GFO in a single reactor, as well as dosing Kalk, Calcium and Alkalinity.

Paramaters are as follows:

Salinity 1.026
Calcium 430
Alk 9Dkh
Mag 1400
PH 8.1-8.3
Nitrates 5 (according to saliferet)
Phosphates 0 (according to ELOS)

Now im wondering if my tank would benefit from a biopellet reactor. Im really not into dosing carbon daily as i just dont have the time for it. I know my phosphates are deffinatley in the 0 range however would my tank benefit by lowering my nitrates?

If i do go for biopellets should i cease using GFO and if so should i do it a period of time before starting biopellets?

In terms of a reactor i was thinking of going with the Vertex 1.5 reactor it actually comes with 500ml of vertex bio pellets as well, and well I can get it locally at my LFS.

Skim
07-18-2014, 08:28 PM
I would give it a try, I don't know what the Vertex reactor goes for but you may be able to save a few bucks by getting a TLF-150 Phosban and the plastic inserts and the TLF NPX Pellets. I am running that know and have no probs and the Cyno that I had is gone now. I have ordered a CAD lights Conic reactor and looking forward to trying it out. Anyhow make sure you follow directions on the Pellets, and good luck!

All the best.

Mike

kien
07-19-2014, 02:44 AM
If you are happy with how your tank is doing at this very moment then I wouldn't change a single thing if I were you. Why try to fix something that isn't broken ?

Wheelman76
07-19-2014, 03:01 AM
What he said^

hfp75
07-19-2014, 03:57 AM
I have a 50-55g with a 10g sump and I have a Med->Heavy Bio load and am using the same skimmer as the original poster. I am using Bio-Pellets and Rowa and things are great... no looking back...

I am using a TLF Phosban 150 & have cut the central post about 2/3 the way down and secured it with plumbers tape. As well as the mesh to keep them in. I have a larger than normal pump but that way they dont clump. no regrets and the reactor was only a few bucks... whole thing was less than a hundred bucks...

Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh7LZExaMrA

Craigdillman
07-19-2014, 04:56 PM
if it aint broke dont fix it

straightrazorguy
07-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I believe adding biopellets will reduce your nitrates, but you might experience a rise in phosphates. Remember the Redfield ratio is 106:16:1. You mess with one and another of the three might become the limiting factor. Adding biopellets (C source) will help you lower N for sure. But you will still need phosban to lower phosphates.

I run both biopellets and ROWAphos and I'm happy with my tank. Just start small, and increase the amount of biopellets gradually.

denny_C
07-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I have a 60 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. It is a mixed reef primarily with SPS corals. In terms of bioload it is in the medium range. I currently run a reef octopus nwb110 skimmer (I believe its rated up to 100 gallons by manufactuerer and BRS recommends it up to 75gallons). I also am running carbon and GFO in a single reactor, as well as dosing Kalk, Calcium and Alkalinity.

Paramaters are as follows:

Salinity 1.026
Calcium 430
Alk 9Dkh
Mag 1400
PH 8.1-8.3
Nitrates 5 (according to saliferet)
Phosphates 0 (according to ELOS)

Now im wondering if my tank would benefit from a biopellet reactor. Im really not into dosing carbon daily as i just dont have the time for it. I know my phosphates are deffinatley in the 0 range however would my tank benefit by lowering my nitrates?

If i do go for biopellets should i cease using GFO and if so should i do it a period of time before starting biopellets?

In terms of a reactor i was thinking of going with the Vertex 1.5 reactor it actually comes with 500ml of vertex bio pellets as well, and well I can get it locally at my LFS.

to be honest with you your parameters a fine , if anything i would look at dosing vodka or vinegar that ways you can fine tune it to the available nutrients and quit/restart at any given time based on your parameters. both of which results can be seen in as little as a week. the red field ratio isnt exact , in fact it wasn't geared towards our household system or how we carbon dose a reef , in general its just a guide line to show how bacteria consumes and absorbs c/n/p so i wouldn't take it to heart.

all in all though your parameters are spot on , if anything i would tweak them slightly and slowly over time:)

cheers

denny