PDA

View Full Version : controller questions

Cujo#31
07-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Ok folks, jumping from t-5 t0 LED so talk to me like I draw in crayon. I have to pick up a controller. Running 5 or 6 LED fixtures (ai sol), wave, 4 pumps, and temp monitor/ control. Exactly WHAT am I going to need?????
I am far from tech savvy, no interest in ****ing around with doing anything on line, just plug and play simplicity please

Aquattro
07-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Sorry, there really isn't any plug and play. You have to set things up :)

That being said, Apex, along with a VDM module, natively supports AI Sol lights. Not sure if that applies to full vs light vs junior, but I use the full and it took care of the AI stuff very well.

Aquattro
07-18-2014, 01:54 AM
Or, the AI's have their own simple controller, although not sure how simple it is, I've never seen one.

Cujo#31
07-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Thanks Brad. Most of that sounded like ur going to get a PM once I get the gear....LMAO

Scythanith
07-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Don't buy a profilux if you don't like to tinker. And by that I mean you will definitely have to tinker.

Aquattro
07-18-2014, 02:49 AM
Don't buy a profilux if you don't like to tinker. And by that I mean you will definitely have to tinker.

Apex still requires tinkering. Anything will simply due to the huge variety of configs people use.

Scythanith
07-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Apex still requires tinkering. Anything will simply due to the huge variety of configs people use.

Have you ever had to open your Apex up and move a tiny jumper onto specific terminals and do a hard reset just for it to get a USB update? I've had to do similar things for both the Mitras and the actual profilux unit. They are NOT user friendly. They are POWERFUL, but only with considerable time invested.

Cujo#31
07-18-2014, 04:26 AM
Have you ever had to open your Apex up and move a tiny jumper onto specific terminals and do a hard reset just for it to get a USB update? I've had to do similar things for both the Mitras and the actual profilux unit. They are NOT user friendly. They are POWERFUL, but only with considerable time invested.

Thanks for the heads up. Yup....SOMEBODY is gonna have to do a little class time with me when the time is right...LMMFAO

Scythanith
07-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Honestly, basic setup isn't too hard. But then again I have never used the Apex so I can't comment on it :)

Aquattro
07-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Honestly, basic setup isn't too hard. But then again I have never used the Apex so I can't comment on it :)

The Apex is pretty simple for me, but I work in IT and am used to the logic used in the advanced programming. I think for most items though, and for simple setups, there's an option to point and click.

And no, never had to open it to move jumpers :)

input80
07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Heya Gary, I'm in almost the same boat as you.
For our AIs, we bought the Director (very decent controller). We have an Apex controller that is currently being underused, lol. That being said, I probably would go with the Apex & VDM module or Apex & Director. I know I'm not much help, butttttttt it appears as though there are more (local) Apex users out here. :)
I also have a Digital Aquatics controller on my 80 running just my T5s & heater, it will probably be running that doser also, if necessary :)