PDA

View Full Version : In sump Refug question

clermont
07-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Okay, so last night I am working around in the sump and I start to think. How are the copepods getting to my display from the fuge to the display tank through my pump?
I have an Eheim pump and it has this Foam protector all around the intake so if sand particles and such cant get through this, will the copepods be able to?
I worry about my mandarin having enough food and that really is the reason that I started up the Fuge so if anybody knows if I should remove this protective foam or know that copepods can actually find there way through it?
On a good note I purchased a Jeboa power head recently and the feed mode has helped me to try to train the mandarin to eat frozen food and he actually took a piece of Brine shirmp last night. Only the 1 piece but it is a start, hopefully it isnt that the mandarin is starving but it doesnt look to have lost much weight.

dino
07-19-2014, 05:23 PM
I know they can get through impellers no problem not to sure about a foam filter though. I don't run any foam and my pump has been fine for years knock on wood

Wheelman76
07-19-2014, 05:38 PM
They will make it through , but those foam blocks in the Eheims get clogged up pretty quick. I removed mine on my 1262 and never had a problem. I would think they would get through even easier without the foam.

jason604
07-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Take the foam out. I too all mine. Even my skimmer lvl adjuster foam too. All it does is collect muck

clermont
07-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Removed it when I did my water change tonight. Thanks for the response guys!
On a side note:
Confirmed that the mandarin is eating frozen foods! Taken food 3 nights in a row. I added the Jebao wave makers and I think it must have something to do with the feed mode because prior he wasn't interested in the food probably because he didn't feel like chasing after it.

Craigdillman
07-20-2014, 06:58 AM
yea i feed my scooter dragonet too buts he's lazy and will only eat it if its right in his face

AquaPin
07-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Too ensure optimal exchange I made two pod condos. I swap them weekly between the sump and the display tank. Noticed a big increase in population in my display tank within the first couple weeks and my red scooter is plenty fat. Here is a link where I got the idea and a few images.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/diy-pod-condos-92373.html