PDA

View Full Version : warning!

darkreef
07-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Last night I had a sick fish problem... He died this morning
I did a nice water change last night... Added some marine conditioner because I didn't have the room water at the time
Instant ocean.

Not sure if I added to much... But as soon as I put the water in all my corals started acting funny. And closing and loosing all there water could see there skeleton

Today every single thing in my aquarium is melting.

My tank water is cloudy...

Adding some carbon.. I guess..
I don't even want to look at this tank the wrong way let alone touch it anymore.

reefwars
07-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Last night I had a sick fish problem... He died this morning
I did a nice water change last night... Added some marine conditioner because I didn't have the room water at the time
Instant ocean.

Not sure if I added to much... But as soon as I put the water in all my corals started acting funny. And closing and loosing all there water could see there skeleton

Today every single thing in my aquarium is melting.

My tank water is cloudy...

Adding some carbon.. I guess..
I don't even want to look at this tank the wrong way let alone touch it anymore.

have you tested your water?

Karsten
07-15-2014, 10:36 PM
I had no water parameter change and no coral death and two tangs and a manderin die in one day last week. I havent changed the water since. I wonder if there is something in it

Scythanith
07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
I would guess yes, there is something wrong with your water. Large water changes (assuming the new water is adjusted to the tank parameters to avoid shock) are recommended.

darkreef
07-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Test all 0,0,0 a/n/n

This is crazy my tank was top notch a week ago...
When i put the new water in all my corals reacted instantly.
Mushrooms sucked in, brain collapsed, zoas blew up then closed.
Frog spawn blew up all weird then sucked in..

I put five fresh cups of carbon in.. I don't even care if it bleachs stuff now just want together what ever it is out!

Bblinks
07-15-2014, 11:35 PM
What size is the tank and what kind of carbon did you use? You said after the water change everything went downhills, now I would hold off on the water change for now and check if any airborne chemical was used near the tank or the water changing station. Also how's the tank temperature?

darkreef
07-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Same carbon I used since I started up.

Temp 79.3

Salinity 1.029

So that went up +. 0004 Oops

eli@fijireefrock.com
07-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Did you have any un- knowledgeable visitors who love to extra feed the fish or spray clean the area around your tank?
Maybe with Calgary heat within the last week got to your tank..

Bblinks
07-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Same carbon I used since I started up.

Temp 79.3

Salinity 1.029

So that went up +. 0004 Oops

Same carbon doesn't really help...

Salinity seen to be a bit high, what do you use to test that?

darkreef
07-16-2014, 12:12 AM
I run a apex, so I know it's not temperature shifts
... Maybe it's screwing up my head and leading to errors in my maintenance.

darkreef
07-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Same carbon doesn't really help...

Salinity seen to be a bit high, what do you use to test that?

Refractometer

kien
07-16-2014, 02:21 AM
What is marine conditioner ? Do you mean tap water dechlorinator or is there actually some product called "marine conditioner" ?

Ron99
07-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Salinity is a bit high. When did you last calibrate your refractometer and how? Temperature might be a little high too. But it seems there is something in your water or salt since you say you did a water change and everything reacted negatively instantly. I'd say that's your culprit and carbon alone will likely not do the trick.

scherzo
07-16-2014, 05:18 AM
By Marine Conditioner do you mean this? (http://www.instantocean.com/Products/aquarium-saltwater-care/saltwater-aquarium-maintenance/marine-water-conditioner-for-aquarium.aspx)

Do you use this often?

MarkoD
07-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Well it's probably because you're using tap water and not checking the new saltwater salinty.

You say you're not sure if you added too much salt...... Why wouldn't you check the salinity before doing the water change?

Aquattro
07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Oops

anytime you say this in reefing, bad **** happens. There really is no room for "oops".

kien
07-16-2014, 03:43 PM
By Marine Conditioner do you mean this? (http://www.instantocean.com/Products/aquarium-saltwater-care/saltwater-aquarium-maintenance/marine-water-conditioner-for-aquarium.aspx)

Do you use this often?

Oh! Interesting. I didn't realize that there was such a product. Sounds like it's a dechlorinator with a bunch of other magic in it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-16-2014, 11:33 PM
For your tank's salinity to jump 4 points like that, it means your change-water salinity was WAAAAY HIGH, probably in the high 30s. That would do it for sure. Especially if at that high a salinity the water temp was off and the salt was not fully mixed.

For instance, if you did a 33% of total water volume change and your tank salinity jumped 4 points, then you were 12 points too high or 1.037 in the bucket.

If it was a 20% water change, then your bucket was at 5 times four points too high or 20 points (i.e. 1.045 salinity).

Pouring in a large volume of super saturated high salinity water will definitely lead to some of the issues you've listed.

Anthony

Slyguy00
07-17-2014, 12:15 AM
You have been pretty vauge about your water you use and the details of your system. Sounds to me like the water you added wasnt good. Do you use tap water or ro? Salinity is deff to high as well, that would do it.

kamloops_reefer
07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
perhaps something else is present, i.e. soap on your hands, grease, copper???

Samw
07-17-2014, 01:13 AM
One of the biggest mistakes I made once was that I had a tiny bit of Windex in a kitchen sink where I put down my net. I then used the net in my 5 gallon nano without rinsing the net first. Within hours, the nano crashed and I lost all of the corals in it.

The Guy
07-17-2014, 03:36 PM
For your tank's salinity to jump 4 points like that, it means your change-water salinity was WAAAAY HIGH, probably in the high 30s. That would do it for sure. Especially if at that high a salinity the water temp was off and the salt was not fully mixed.

For instance, if you did a 33% of total water volume change and your tank salinity jumped 4 points, then you were 12 points too high or 1.037 in the bucket.

If it was a 20% water change, then your bucket was at 5 times four points too high or 20 points (i.e. 1.045 salinity).

Pouring in a large volume of super saturated high salinity water will definitely lead to some of the issues you've listed.

Anthony
Totally agree Anthony, salinity and temperature is very important when adding new water. As well using RO or treated tap water is important. I always mix my water changes at least 24 hrs. before doing the actual WC.