PDA

View Full Version : one by one :(

darkreef
07-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Iv been loosing a fish per week...
Last week my hi top died, he had ick but it looked like he got stung or poisoned.
He was very bloody when I removed him.

My tang is my happiest camper in my tank...
Last night I did a water change.. A good one

Today my tang is so full of ick and stressed out.
He turned away food for the first time.

My clown fish, snowflake eel and lionfish are doing fine.
So far...

Can I do anything for my tang or just hope?
I just got him nice and fat but his mouth is going and when ever I see that... I wake up to a dead fish

hillegom
07-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Could you put all your fish in a QT tank and medicate for ick?

darkreef
07-14-2014, 10:45 PM
I did a 25% water change last night.
That used up all my water.. Plus I don't have a tank only buckets.
I think putting him in a tiny 5 gallon salt bucket would really stress him out.

I'm going to reduce flow, and see if he will eat some frozen food.

I shouldn't have cut back on my feedings... Was feeding him well and he fought it off the first time

darkreef
07-14-2014, 10:50 PM
My tank has been acting weird lately.. I had a major crash few months ago so my 2 year old tank went to a 10 week old tank... So now I'm hitting all the bumps in the road again.

My rocks are clean no algae, most of my corals are splitting and growing. And others are melting... I started running carbon again because I figured it might be my angRy corals stressing things out.

I just don't know anymore, the harder I try with this trade the harder I fail.

lemon604
07-15-2014, 12:05 AM
get a cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrass. They will eat the ick off your fish.

eli@fijireefrock.com
07-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Sorry to hear of what you are going through.
what is your filtration like and if you have a mix of corals you maybe experiencing chemical warfare as you just stated of started carbon.
As for the fish its unfortunate as you must restrain yourself from buying fish without the treating period and never add any new life to your tank until you resolve what you have going as this keeps stress on your inhabitants.

darkreef
07-15-2014, 12:07 AM
I just put some stress coat in my tank, hope it will help for tonight if I don't loose him tonight Il get a cleaner shrimp tomorrow

Cal_stir
07-15-2014, 01:46 AM
See if you can get a cleaner wrasse, we call ours the doctor fish, does 10x more cleaning than a cleaner shrimp, and eats everything we put in the tank.

darkreef
07-15-2014, 01:47 AM
He might be bite size for my eel. We will see

Cal_stir
07-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Ya, I have no experience with eels.

toytech
07-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Go onto reef central and reed the sticky thread on ich , cleaner fish and shrimp do nothing about ich and it explains why it comes and goes and gets worse the second time.

hillegom
07-15-2014, 04:28 AM
here is another read

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

Craigdillman
07-15-2014, 04:38 AM
Take your fish out and qt them and treat them for ich, or they will keep getting sick water changes and feeding won't help you need to treat them for the ich,

1) hyposalinity
2) copper
3) tank transfer

Only methods that cute ich rest are snake oil

Good luck

hillegom
07-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Take your fish out and qt them and treat them for ich, or they will keep getting sick water changes and feeding won't help you need to treat them for the ich,

1) hyposalinity
2) copper
3) tank transfer

Only methods that cute ich rest are snake oil

Good luck

+1

Madreefer
07-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Cleaner wrasse belong in the ocean and not our fish tanks. I'm a believer in garlic soaked food. Give that a try and if you eventually lose the rest of your fish than just enjoy looking at your corals for a few months. Sorry to see your $hitty luck in the last while.

monocus
07-15-2014, 08:00 AM
i agree about the cleaner wrasse.where cleaner wrasses are taken from the reefs,fish leave.you would be better off with a neon goby.also snowflakes rarely go after fish.they mostly eat shellfish and shrimp

darkreef
07-15-2014, 05:38 PM
He didn't make it threw the night, like any fish that gets sick on me, it's pretty much like hey I'm sick I'm going to die tomorrow.

I tank transfered all my fish before they went into the tank.
It didn't work... And I was up with the birds and did directly what I was suppose to do.
Waste of money

Hypo salinity... I just got back all the creatures in my live rock (kinda)and I have reef tank.
If you read a forum about in laws putting bleach in a tank that was mine just finally getting color on the rocks now.

Copper... Going to need another tank which is no problem ... And is copper safe on eels? ich doesn't have a affect on eels but they can carry it sometimes.

Cujo#31
07-18-2014, 04:17 AM
get a cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrass. They will eat the ick off your fish.

Cleaner shrimp and wrasse cant "eat" the ich off fish IMHO. once ich has chosen a fish as host, it is not visible. The parasite is microscopic. What you see on the fish is a cyst the fish's body forms to isolate parasite from body. Once parasite matures it drops to substrate and the cycle begins.
They do however do a great job eliminating many other types of stray parasite that happens to enter water column.

johnnyriker22
07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
That sucks that relatives put bleach in your tank. That's pretty stupid. I'm glad some of your inhabitants made it through. Have you de-chlorinated afterwards with prime or water conditioner?

You must have some major stress in your tank for this overnight death to be occurring. Try to stabilize everything in the tank like temperature and alkalinity. Don't let temperature fluctuate more than 2-3 degrees a day. See what your nitrates are like in the tank. Check out how to use active carbon properly. I use a cup every 2-4 weeks for 90 gallons of volume for example but every tank is different.

johnny