PDA

View Full Version : anyone try raising cleaner shrimp?

Majestic_Aquariums
08-21-2004, 07:09 AM
a while back we had two large cleaner shrimp; one showing eggs. We left them alone in a 10 gal. tank with some live rock, and within a week or ten days, saw hundreds of swimmers in the tank.(kinda looked like sperm!) Anyway, we left them be, adding brine shrimp, and they were growing noticably by the day. Had them for approx. 2 weeks, and little by little they vanished. We have tried a few times since then with our shrimp, done lots of research through the internet, and yet have had the same success. We were just curious if anyone else have tried(be willing to bet there's lots of you), and how did you make out? Perhaps this is a common thing amongst somewhat new-comers; we have been only into the marine keeping for 2 years. Would love to hear how you made out! :redface:

Quinn
08-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Sounds like you got farther than some, however in a previous discussion on this I believe we were only able to confirm that the Waikiki Aquarium had ever raised them to adulthood.

danny zubot
08-24-2004, 02:32 PM
What was your water change schedule like on the 10 gallon? In the past I have raised various fish species all with greater success when regular water changes are done. The bio load of a rearing tank is hugh and levels can spike very quickly, expecially when feeding with brine. Love to hear how the next batch turns out!

Majestic_Aquariums
08-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Although we had the shimp in a 10 gal, we were running a makeshift sump for it. As to not disturb the shimp, (or suck them into the filters) I was using small airline hose to sphion from the tank. 6 of these were sphioning, and I used a 2 litre pop bottle with thousands of tiny holes in it to surround the hoses. In the sump we were running 2 Aqua 500s in 25 gals. water, and changing 15% per week. This kept the levels in the 10 gal. perfect, or so we thought. Since few of anyone in the world has ever had success, we will probably wait until things slow down before trying again. But it was fun to try.