PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to polish starphire glass?

davej
07-09-2014, 03:46 PM
I recently purchased a 60 gallon solana cube.
The previous owner had a monti grow up onto the glass, it was a patch the size of your hand. After removing it with a razor blade, the glass appears to almost be etched. its a bit hazy where the coral was attached. Is it possible to polish this out, or am I just going to have to live with it?

WarDog
07-09-2014, 11:45 PM
All glass can be polished using a special abrasive wheel and buffing compound. Novus sells a 3 part compound, but I'm not sure about the wheels. I'd think you'd be looking at over $100 for all the gear. I'd get in contact with Concepts before going any further. Good luck!

WarDog
07-10-2014, 04:46 PM
My bad, I made a mistake. The Novus 3 part compound is for acrylic. Glass requires Cerium Oxide. It is a pinkish powder you mix with water to make a paste. The polishing wheel is pumice - like, about 4 inches wide and quite thick. I would still contact Concepts and talk to them about polishing starfire. Hope I didn't lead you in the wrong direction with my previous post!

denny_C
07-10-2014, 05:47 PM
hi

if its a haze then you may be able to polish it depending on how bad it really is but will take some time its a messy and tiring process thats for sure.

if they are scratches or even small scratches and you can feel them with your finger nail or razor blade tip then the amount of polishing needed will likely distort the glass and make it even more of an eye sore.

in all honesty its probably less hassel to cut out the panel and replace with a new one if it bothers you that much, less work less mess and less things needed to gather up compared to polishing it out.

im assuming covering it up with acrylic is out of the question because of its location?

cheers and good luck

denny

concept aquariums

davej
07-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Thanks guys. Think I'll just live with it. Hopefully once it's full of water again it will be harder to see.