PDA

View Full Version : Doug, what lights are you sing now?

wayner
09-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Doug:

Since you sold your Sun Light ballast,& Radiums, what are you using? or what will you be using?

Skimmerking
09-25-2002, 07:49 PM
doug is using 2 x 660 ice cap ballast now, my old ones. Well not old they are new ......

SOrry dougie I was bored..

BC_Grl
09-25-2002, 10:03 PM
Doug, I thought you sold the BlueWave Ballasts?

Doug
09-25-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi guys;
Sorry to respond so late. Been a little busy lately. ;)

Yes, I sold all my halide equipment. Like Mike mentioned, I am running a pair of 660 Icecap ballasts. One powers 4- 110watt 50/50 bulbs and the other powers a pair of 110 watt actinics. I have room for two more, not yet added.

I am still trying to decide if I like it better . The duel Bluewave 400 and the pair of 400 watt Radiums was some nice. Or as I said before, "stunning".

christyf5
09-25-2002, 11:23 PM
How come you switched, if you don't mind my asking??

Christy smile.gif

billc
09-26-2002, 04:22 AM
Yeah me too.. I have OD NO and am thinking about HH.. I hear all of the benefits of using MH. I know you must have a real good reason. Color, Growth Rate, ETC.. Just courious..

Doug
09-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Hi Christy;
Wish I knew why also. :D

Guess it was part of the overall change of my tank. I also sold my sps corals. The buyer was going to take my vho set to add to his. But he was also interested in a pair of 400,s for his tank. He loved my set-up, so I sold it to him instead. I took his 660 in trade.{it was new also}.

Perhaps I am just a confused person. :confused: I still think it was the best, halide set-up I have used, however it was new.

As for the vho. I am impressed with the lights so far. Nice colour. I have more coralline growth going on,{not that I need it},{need my reactor again}. The new corals seem to be doing fine. I plan on running the vho bulbs for at least 2 years. By watching my power meter, this seems to a very power efficient way of lighting a tank.

I am thinking about a large tank, and if I do, I will run 8 bulbs on it. However I may try some regular output 65K bulbs. I am going to put some beside the 50/50 vho bulbs, to see the difference. I could replace 8 bulbs, once a year for $40 at Canadian Tire. :D

I have always been a halide fan, and only time will tell if this is as good. For sure, I will be able to give a good comparison, having run both.

stephane
09-26-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Doug:
I plan on running the vho bulbs for at least 2 years. QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Knowing you I have realy big doubt :D

For my self I have run my tank in the past with
a combo of daylight and actinic the color was great the grow was good but no acro the clam were
doing good for severale years but very slow grow

The bulb was 4 actnic NO on a icecap + 2 vho daylight on a tar ballast

I have now change the four actinic for tree VHO and the difference to the eye are not realy big.

[ 26 September 2002, 14:57: Message edited by: stephane ]

Doug
09-26-2002, 08:50 PM
If anyone is interested in seeing them in action, check out "reefermike". Its in the members tank forum on
www.reefaquariumguide.com (http://www.reefaquariumguide.com)

Even though thats a much better camera than mine, they still dont do the lights justice. But they do look better.

stephane
09-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Yeah Pic of Radium are alway blue :(
I have take a couple of pic of my tank but the result is like shooting a tank light by actnic alone :mad: