PDA

View Full Version : I love my Yellow Coris

Dearth
07-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Until I started macro photography I never even knew I had flat worms and then it was pointed out that I had them but it was never plaque problem until my yellow coris I had decided to try air breathing and after it died within 2 weeks the flatworms were everywhere and I siphoned out hundreds of the lil buggers then just before I went on vacation I had the opportunity to get another yellow coris which I did. Enter 9 days later the flatworm population is less than half of what it used to be they used to cover my coral stalks but now I am hard pressed to find significant populations on my corals now.

I watch the Coris and it pecks at the rock and base of the coral all day long eating flatworms. I think in any future tank I may get a yellow coris will always be on that list of must have fish. It's colourful, swims in the open a lot and loves flat worms. :mrgreen:

Slyguy00
07-02-2014, 04:27 AM
Hell ya, I love my coris wrasse for that exact same reason. He makes quick work of any pests thats for sure.

kien
07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
One of the most useful fish, ever! I got mine 5 years ago to control Zoa eating nudibranches. He destroyed them!

saltyair
07-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Imo one of the best fish to have in a reef.
they hunt all day, they help shy fish to come out, lot's of personality

toytech
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
everyone should own one and every frag tank should have 2 , I sold mine and have missed it ever since , especially because I have flatworms now and had zoa and monti eating nudis . Once I get my fussy fish established im getting a pair .

pinkreef
07-03-2014, 03:18 PM
I have four. One is a terminal male with beautiful markings on his head and some colour in his tail. they keep those little round snails away and peram (spelling) snails away from clams. I also have a green one with pink colouring on his head ( i used to have 2 but they didnt get along) Haleochoris choris is their name i think ( again spelling) Im a wrasse lover can you tell?

kien
07-03-2014, 04:02 PM
And if you don't like yellow they come in a green variety :-) Actually, I find that most wrasses with that small snout like mouth are good pest controllers. I suppose that's what they were designed for. The coris is probably the most hardly and readily available of them all though.

Dearth
07-03-2014, 04:13 PM
I never really considered wrasses for my tank but after talking to the people at J&L aquatics they convinced me to get a lubbocks wrasse and since then I've been a convert. I will definitely be getting more wrasse in the coming months.

toytech
07-03-2014, 04:48 PM
They call one of the choris wrasses a banana wrasse at j&l and its yellow with a white bottom and it get quite good color once its a male and cheap to boot.

kien
07-03-2014, 05:48 PM
They call one of the choris wrasses a banana wrasse at j&l and its yellow with a white bottom and it get quite good color once its a male and cheap to boot.

And just confuse things for the fun of confusing things there is another species of wrasse (Thalassona Lutescens) that also has the common name "banana wrasse." Compared to the coris "banana wrasse" The Thalassoma "banana wrasse" is definitely not reef safe !

Dearth
07-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Woke up this morning to a sad sight my brand new yellow coris stuck in the egg crate covering my tank top deader than a door nail.

Ryanerickson
07-06-2014, 05:05 PM
That suck at least they are cheap I just got 2 of these fish one for display one for frag tank.

Slyguy00
07-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Ya iv had a few wrasses jump out to. Never nice to see

Dearth
07-06-2014, 06:17 PM
When I was fresh water I only had maybe 4 fish in 12 years of fresh water keeping commit suicide in the 2 years I have been salt water I have had 7 fish commit suicide need to find that gene that mKes fish jump and remove it.

Ryanerickson
07-06-2014, 07:27 PM
You should sell the dead body to this guy,amazing what people sell I was looking for the lighting clowns for sale on ebay and found this.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/161286406451?nav=SEARCH

Madreefer
07-07-2014, 10:51 AM
That suck at least they are cheap I just got 2 of these fish one for display one for frag tank.

He's located in PG and unfortunately anything SW related is not cheap here.