View Full Version : Adding Spigot to Roughneck

07-02-2014, 12:25 AM
I plan on getting a 20G rubbermaid roughneck to use as 15gal water change vessel.The rubbermaid will be lifted higher than the sump with a spigot at the bottom to gravity feed into the sump after the saltwater has been mixed and brought up to temp. What kind of connection would you guys use for the spigot? At first i was thinking of just a pvc bulkhead fitting but im not sure how it would seal with the curvature of the rubbermaid. Anyone done something like this or have any ideas?

07-02-2014, 12:45 AM
Home Hardware sometimes carries the spigots with bulkheads for PVC rain barrels. That's were I got mine a few years back anyways.

07-02-2014, 12:49 AM
You could try a Uniseal.

07-02-2014, 12:50 AM
sweet thanks ill check it out, im assuming the fitting would have to be curved slightly, unless the rubber gasket is thick and soft enough to make a seal.

07-02-2014, 12:52 AM
You could try a Uniseal.

might be a better option, ill have to find a supplier

Reef Supplies
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Uniseal all the way. Bulkheads or modified bulkheads / spigot will need silicone or it will most likely leak.

We just added uniseal to our catalogue if your interested.

07-03-2014, 01:42 AM
1/4" jg bulkhead

07-04-2014, 03:37 PM
A standard bulkhead is all you need. I use them on barrels with no problem. My plastic rain barrel has not given any problems in 15 yrs.

Good luck. Leak test outside!

07-05-2014, 06:51 AM
I have a bulkhead at the bottom of a rubbermaid Brute container which I use for RO water, it is not leaking. I am not happy with the spigot attached past the bulkhead, I bought a pvc spigot with male hose thread, but the inside valve diameter is so restricted that flow is quite impaired, it takes a few minutes to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. I'm looking for a hose spigot that is reef safe has a male garden hose size thread and has a high flow-through rate if anyone has any suggestions.