PDA

View Full Version : Electricity Problems

Jaws
07-01-2014, 08:19 PM
So I've noticed that whenever I stick my hand in my tank lately, I get a mild shock. There's definitely some electricity going through the tank. I bought a ground probe and plugged it into the wall. When I put my hand in the water to attach the probe to the inside of the sump, I get a large shock. Much worse than without the probe. Is that normal or is something extremely wrong here?

Cujo#31
07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Get urself a grunding probe. The stray volts will affect utr system

Cujo#31
07-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Hmmmm, shooda read deeper, lmao. If components plugged into main power block like so many of us GFCI gone probably. Replace block and see. If ur circ pumps are aging most likely cause because even waterproof seals and connections eventually are no longer "waterproof". But them stray volts are hard on livestock. The silver lining......keeps ur hands out of the tank. LMAO.

Jaws
07-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I got a grounding probe. That's what's shocking me.

Ryancw
07-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Your getting a larger shock while holding the probe because the whole point of the probe is to give the stray voltage a better path to ground. So essentially when your holding it and it's plugged in to the wall you've made yourself part of the grounding circuit.

Mount it in the sump and then plug it in. Also find the stray voltage culprit and eliminate it ASAP. Even with a ground probe stray voltage can harm a system, its more of a precautionary measure

Ryanerickson
07-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Gotta unplug one thing at a time and stick your hand in after each item lol eventually you will not get shocked when you unplug whatever is causing the stray voltage. I'm I'm sure this is not the correct way but has worked for me in the past good luck.

Jaws
07-02-2014, 01:07 AM
I did exactly that a week ago and I couldn't find the source. I unplugged everything too.

monocus
07-02-2014, 01:23 AM
electric eel ?check the heater.it could have a small crack in it

mattr
07-02-2014, 02:50 AM
One thing you could do is take a voltage meter and put one end on the grounding probe and one in the aquarium. Then unplug things one at a time to see what is causing the stray voltage. This technique is very similar to just unplugging things one by one and getting a shock.

Try those two but let your tank build up a voltage between checks(unplug everything get a shock then plug the first thing in wait 5 min if no shock unplug it and plug the next device in).