PDA

View Full Version : Quick question!

WarDog
06-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Once a bulkhead nut is hand tight, how much tighter should I turn it with a wrench? 1/4 turn? 1/2 turn?

monocus
07-01-2014, 02:06 AM
1/4 turn for me,but i have strong hands and can tighten a nut more than most people

Craigdillman
07-01-2014, 02:19 AM
1/4 turn for me,but i have strong hands and can tighten a nut more than most people

lol

Craigdillman
07-01-2014, 02:19 AM

pics of your bicep or your post in invalid

monocus
07-01-2014, 02:45 AM
it's all in the hands.boy i really got to watch my wording

gregzz4
07-01-2014, 02:54 AM
it's all in the hands.boy i really got to watch my wording
Ya, and these young guys have no idea how much strength us old guys have in our ol' bones

gregzz4
07-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Once a bulkhead nut is hand tight, how much tighter should I turn it with a wrench? 1/4 turn? 1/2 turn?
I'd give it a 1/4 turn and check it in a day or 5
I don't have any #s for you, but I'd think 10-20 foot pounds is enough - which to me is about where you're thinking - 1/4 to 1/2 turn, but only re-torque it once
Basically, with a pair of channel-lock pliers, one hand and some mild resistance. Anymore and you risk cracking glass or squishing out the gasket

WarDog
07-01-2014, 03:19 AM
I'd give it a 1/4 turn and check it in a day or 5
I don't have any #s for you, but I'd think 10-20 foot pounds is enough - which to me is about where you're thinking - 1/4 to 1/2 turn, but only re-torque it once
Basically, with a pair of channel-lock pliers, one hand and some mild resistance. Anymore and you risk cracking glass or squishing out the gasket

Ok, got it, thanks!

davej
07-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Just a quick side note. More than once I have found that if you install the bulkhead dry you end up with a slow drip no matter how tight you do it up. You need to take the rubber gasket and dip it in some water so it's surface is wet. It makes a better seal and will not drip. It seems to be counterintuitive to get something wet to keep it dry. Lol. Trust me it's worth the effort. Saves taking it all apart because if a slow leak.

WarDog
07-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Just a quick side note. More than once I have found that if you install the bulkhead dry you end up with a slow drip no matter how tight you do it up. You need to take the rubber gasket and dip it in some water so it's surface is wet. It makes a better seal and will not drip. It seems to be counterintuitive to get something wet to keep it dry. Lol. Trust me it's worth the effort. Saves taking it all apart because if a slow leak.

Thank you davej, I was actually considering that but didn't do it. Luckily I still have time to moisten my gaskets, lol!