PDA

View Full Version : hair algae = sps issues?

christyf5
06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
I haven't dealt with this crap since I started in this hobby over 12 years ago and now this is my second time in 2 years dealing with it. Its just starting to creep back, mostly in the overflow and on a few rocks (oddly enough its corralled to only one side of the tank). I've been pruning it out as it jams the overflow for fear of the tank actually overflowing out the top. I did prune some on the rocks.

Anyhoo, some of my SPS are receding. Ok receding is a nice word, they'd dying. So besides an obvious phosphate problem, does anyone know if hair algae releases anything toxic or detrimental to SPS? I am seriously getting ready to say screw this and just have a fish only tank until they all croak and I'll throw in the towel.

BTW, the hair algae doesn't seem to affect ricordea or LPS unless its actually growing on them, then they get a bit ticked.

toytech
06-27-2014, 03:52 PM
It dosent release anything out of the normal , I can decompose like anything else and would cause low o2 and such but I doubt your leaving it in your tank to rot . Im using hair algae as nutrient control until I get a couple of reactors set up , I only have it on the glass of my tank so I let it grow to crazy length then scrape it clean and let another side grow out , sucks up phosphates like mad and all my sps are thriving , good growth , good color . Might be time to keep a close eye on water parameters sounds like something is off , whats the phosphate at? Mine is at .04 at most usually around 0.02 when its on the better side , any higher than 0.04 and I start to have problems and start running phosban to get it back down.

christyf5
06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Yeah I'm running GFO, which is making me wonder wtf is going on. I haven't measured the phosphates lately, figured they're probably all tied up in the hair algae anyways. Guess I should get to that.

Does GFO ever go off? I think i've had this stuff awhile, its in an airtight container and dry.

toytech
06-27-2014, 05:36 PM
No I dosent go bad but I does release iron with algae needs to grow , so if theres a lot of phosphates its fuel to the fire for algae growth until it knocks the phosphates down . Too quick of a drop in phosphates can be hard on sps as well so you have to see whats going on with them and not be too drastic .

christyf5
06-27-2014, 05:40 PM
No I dosent go bad but I does release iron with algae needs to grow , so if theres a lot of phosphates its fuel to the fire for algae growth until it knocks the phosphates down . Too quick of a drop in phosphates can be hard on sps as well so you have to see whats going on with them and not be too drastic .

Good to know about the iron part. I knew about the quick removal of phosphates and SPS. Learned that the hard way with rowaphos.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me :neutral:

Werbo
06-29-2014, 06:07 PM
I've had hair algae problems for 6+ months and had no sps problems. Great colour and growth just unsightly HA. Lots of gfo, toothbrush scrubbing, prayers and still no relief.

christyf5
06-29-2014, 07:38 PM
I've had hair algae problems for 6+ months and had no sps problems. Great colour and growth just unsightly HA. Lots of gfo, toothbrush scrubbing, prayers and still no relief.

I had enough of toothbrush scrubbing in the early years. I think I'd go straight to sea hare if it gets that bad. Lucky I'm not there yet.

Werbo
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
I am getting a sea hare

Aquattro
06-29-2014, 10:20 PM
I saw Japarto clean his whole tank using peroxide. Impressive. Algae one day, gone the next.

Reef Pilot
06-29-2014, 10:21 PM
How did his SPS and other corals like it?

Aquattro
06-29-2014, 11:24 PM
How did his SPS and other corals like it?

Really unhappy for a couple hours, but fine after that.

christyf5
07-01-2014, 02:30 AM
gotta find me some strongass hydrogen peroxide :wink:

Dez
07-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I have the 30% stuff that turns your skin white upon contact....

Seriak
07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
What process did he follow?