PDA

View Full Version : Electronics suppliers - Surrey/Langley - DIY Battery Backup

scherzo
06-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Hi,

Is there an alternative to RP electronics (in Burnaby)

I want to build a Vortech battery backup. DIY.

It seems like a simple project.

rynoe
06-24-2014, 05:20 AM
Smi electronics in langley if you are out that way.

WarDog
06-24-2014, 05:24 AM
scherzo, do you think you could detail the build process here? I would love to build my own as well! Thanks!

daplatapus
06-24-2014, 01:51 PM
scherzo, do you think you could detail the build process here? I would love to build my own as well! Thanks!

Ditto

mike31154
06-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Deep cycle 12 volt battery, alligator clips, mini DC connector to fit the VorTech controller backup receptacle and a battery charger/charge controller. Not sure you even need an electronics supplier for those parts. You could go a step further & hook two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in series to get 24 volts, use an extra relay to sense when power is lost & switch to battery power. This way your 'backup' could run the pumps at full speed. You'd have to ensure the batteries are well ventilated during the charging process if using lead acid, flooded deep cycle batteries though.

Craigdillman
06-25-2014, 12:52 AM

double ditto

Vancouver Reefer
06-25-2014, 01:15 AM
If your after electronic components for cheap you can't beat Lee's Electronics on Main St in Van!

gregzz4
06-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Here's some info on how I put mine together

Vortech battery backup alternate (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81315)

scherzo
06-25-2014, 03:01 AM
Here is what I was going to do.

LINK (http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?107976-DIY-VorTech-Battery-Backup)

I think I might have to drive out to RP electronics or Lee's.

I want to use a SLA battery so I don't run the risk of either releasing acid into my house or burning it down. - Because - well - that would suck.

The power is supposed to go out in my area for about 4 hours tomorrow. Maybe I'll just stay home and run my inverter and extension cord. Not really worried about temp just flow.

Parts:
Connector: https://www.rpelectronics.com/31-101-2-1-3-x-3-5mm-inline-plug-pkg-2.html
Battery: http://www.rpelectronics.com/bt-12v18-12-volt-18ah-rechargeable.html (Cheaper @ Lee's)
Charger: http://www.rpelectronics.com/fc-1212b-floating-charger-12vdc.html

I have a 1.5amp fuse somewhere lying around that I'll just solder into place - It'll look ugly - maybe I can find a holder somewhere lying around the house.

mike31154
06-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I want to use a SLA battery so I don't run the risk of either releasing acid into my house or burning it down. - Because - well - that would suck.

A heads up on SLA battery if you wish to use one. There's no guarantee that an SLA battery will not leak or burn your house down. Any electrical/electronic component is subject to failure. I recall disassembling a non functional computer battery backup that had a similar sealed battery in it & it was bulging out at the sides significantly. Not much longer & it could have burst and/or shorted out & caused a fire. Of course this battery was hidden inside the battery backup housing & looks like yours will be external so you can keep an eye on it.

Although flooded batteries need to be monitored from time to time, that's kind of why I prefer them. You can top up the water level. SLA will eventually dry out & then they're trash. With proper care, a deep cycle flooded battery will serve you well & IMO longer than an SLA.

scherzo
06-25-2014, 04:44 PM
True, true - Any battery could cause a fire - I "play" around with Lipos because I am trying to get my 5 year old into R/C car racing like I used to be... they can be very dangerous.

We also have a few SLAs around the house. Alarm backup, alarm cell backup, UPS for my little home server/wifi. They are contained in steel cases and their factory cases so hopefully that was thought about. I have a steel box that can hold this little project.

SLA will eventually dry out & then they're trash. With proper care, a deep cycle flooded battery will serve you well & IMO longer than an SLA.

I've tried slow charging an SLA after refiling it and carefully pulling the top off. It does give it some more life - in fact it worked for at least a year again. There are tons of youtube videos on how to do it. I would do it very carefully and do it outside while you can watch it.

Are there small sized deep cycle batteries as well? I don't have a lot of space around the tank.

mike31154
06-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Are there small sized deep cycle batteries as well? I don't have a lot of space around the tank.

Not to my knowledge. The thing that makes them 'deep' cycle is plenty of lead & I don't think there's a market for a smaller flooded deep cycle. Most of them are made for golf carts, off grid power storage, etc.

Seems the SLAs are working for you & you're keeping an eye on things. There are also AGM (absorbed glass matt) batteries as an alternative. I suspect SLAs use similar technology. Like SLAs, AGMs tend to be a bit pricier than the traditional flooded type.

byee
07-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Wouldn't it be simpler if you went to Costco to purchase a small UPS to keep the Vortech running?

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

scherzo
07-10-2014, 07:30 AM
The UPS would run the Vortechs at full power.

The point of using the battery backup system is so that the Vortechs will sense that the main power went out and switch to the battery backup. It then runs them at a slower rate so that they last longer and keep the water moving. It is a built in feature and I don't feel like spending $200 on their official package when I could make it for $70-$80.

If I ran a typical UPS the Vortech controller wouldn't sense the power failure and continue to run the normal programming. (Plus deplete the UPS battery much faster).

byee
07-10-2014, 10:03 AM
How long will the Vortech run in battery backup mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.