PDA

View Full Version : marineland bulkheads - are they different?

corpusse
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a used 180 marineland corner flow. All 4 bulkheads are leaking. I just hand tightened but really tightened. I can't even loosen them so I need to go get a wrench. They are really leaking. I have hand tightened other bulkheads before and not had this issue. The bulkheads I am using are lifeguard.

FishyFishy!
06-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Any chipping or scoring around the drill holes?

Are the rubber seals on the bulkheads in good condition?

corpusse
06-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Brand new bulkheads. The pipe is already glued in so I can't inspect them. The holes looked fine I didn't closely inspect them but I noted they were drilled nicely when I first looked at the tank.

The design is terrible. I went and got a wrench this morning but the back ones are so hard to turn because they are so close to the other bulkhead and so close to the back of the tank. Seriously I got this tank for just $250 and I don't plan on it being my final tank but it's becoming more and more of a headache. I'm going to try and tighten them if this doesn't work I will cut the pipe and either try a different brand or new bulkheads plus I will of course need new unions too.

intarsiabox
06-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Brand new bulkheads. The pipe is already glued in so I can't inspect them. The holes looked fine I didn't closely inspect them but I noted they were drilled nicely when I first looked at the tank.

I am assuming then the bulkheads are a slip/slip design so could it be the glued area around the pipe leaking? The rubber is on the inside of the tank and the correct size of bulkhead were used?

corpusse
06-24-2014, 03:04 PM
i got them sealed with the help of the wrench, very tough to access. I've never had problems like this with bulkheads before. Always hand tightened except for the very first ones I did because the megaflow kit came with that pvc wrench which i couldn't find so had to spend $25 on a wrench for two 1/4 turns :)

davej
06-25-2014, 08:57 PM
One thing I have found in the past is that if you put he gaskets in dry, (so glass-rubber gasket and bulkhead dry) they always seem to drip a little no matter how tight you go.
If you take the rubber gasket and get its surface nice and wet before you install, leak problem fixed.
Seems counter intuitive to get something wet to stop a leak but it works.
As well be careful not to over-tighten the bulkheads as you can crack the glass.