PDA

View Full Version : Crazy glue?

dino
06-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Using the gel like everyone recommends and it does not seem to cut it.tried lots,little ,tried massaging it into the rock,tried letting it set a bit but nothing works great? What am I missing ?

Coasting
06-22-2014, 05:39 PM
What are you trying to glue to what?

JmeJReefer
06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
What type of glue? Using a marine glue?
The ecotech glue is reliable and will set under water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlhood
06-22-2014, 05:59 PM
I usually make a small ball of epoxy, and put the gel glue on one side, glue it to the frag, and put glue on the other side and squish it into place.

dino
06-22-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm just using crazy glue advanced gel but I will order some of the stuff you suggested . I would think my main problem is gluing plugs to already established rock. But Often it feels strong but let's go after a while?

Ryanerickson
06-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds like your glue is no good I have glued down my entire sps reef with the ecotech crazy glue works great in the water.

JmeJReefer
06-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Yeah. The crazy glue advanced resists water me thinks. But I assume that's what is meant by "advanced".
The Boston Aqua stuff works too, but the ecotech is reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlhood
06-22-2014, 06:18 PM
I just use the lepage ultra gel from homedepot and epoxy. the epoxy gives it some hold while the glue sets, and lets it squish into holes in the rock.

gregzz4
06-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Often it feels strong but let's go after a while?
I had the same problem until I started using a nail brush to scrub the LR
Once scrubbed, the glue stays stuck - enough so that I have to pry it off with a screwdriver

Wheelman76
06-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Here's a trick I use when using glue. Put a blob of glue on the plug and then put the plug under water for a second or two. Then pull it out and put a little more glue on top. When you go to attach it to the rock don't just push it in place. Twist the plug and scrape it around on the rock a little till it really sticks. The problem with most crazy glues ( Ecotech excluded cause ive never tried it) is that as soon as you put it under water the glue forms a skin around it that isnt sticky at all. So scraping it against the rocks pops the bubble of glue and sticks much better.

duncangweller
06-22-2014, 08:05 PM
I'll second that jess. That's exactly what I do with my corals

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

corpusse
06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
I have never tried ecotech but all the other coral glues work exactly the same as the dollar store glue. If its gel I will use it.

Plainswalker
06-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Never really had a problem with the thick dollar store glue. Excellent for attaching frags to rock. Granted, it works better above water than underwater, but I've glued multiple frags into established rockwork with it. I'd follow Wheelman's advice - that's how I use it.