PDA

View Full Version : whats a good pump?

hockey nut
08-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Hi all, I have just purchased a 120gal with dual overflows. Any recomondations on size and type of pump. I can't remember off hand how many gallons the oveflows move per hour. Any help would be great. I am allready curing some new lv rock as well as sand to add with what I have from my 70gal. I have yet to build the stand but should have that done soon. Lots to do yet, but hopfully should have her up and running buy the middle of September. Any ideas on the pump would be appreciated. :biggrin: cheers

Aquattro
08-18-2004, 07:36 AM
I'd use a MAG 12 or MAK 4 for that. You dont want to move water too quickly thru your sump, since that's where it gets skimmed and carboned and such.

MitchM
08-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Do you want an external or internal one?
I use a few internal pumps. I like the effeciency of the heat being used to heat the water at the same time.
Aquamedic Oceanrunner pumps.

Mitch

StirCrazy
08-18-2004, 12:46 PM
for a external pump MAK 4, if you want a submurged pump magdrive 12. both reasonably priced and very good pumps. personaly I am shifting to all external pumps myself to prevent the pump from heating the water in the summer so I have been replacing my magdrive 12's with MAK 4's.

Steve

Doug
08-18-2004, 01:54 PM
I run straight stack pipes in my overflows. Both are 1 1/4in. pipe.

The Mak 4, while nice flow, made sucking noise in the pipes. Of course one could use some type of Duraso or whatever. I dont like them myself.

I found the flow from a Little Giant 3MD, about 800gph, to be just right. Virtually no noise in the overflows, right amount of current in the sump. However the 3MD is pretty noisy, so finding the Mag pump to match would work.

I also just purchased one of the new Genex pumps. The PCX 30 or I guess a Mak 3. Should do about the same as the 3MD

bear27
08-18-2004, 10:38 PM
What pump would you guys use on a 50g with duel returns(single return split to come in 2 places in the tank)

Aquattro
08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
What pump would you guys use on a 50g with duel returns(single return split to come in 2 places in the tank)

What is in the tank?If it's empty except for a cowfish, you need a small pump. If it's full of rock and SPS, you need a big pump.

bear27
08-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes it will be full of rock and sps,clams lps

Aquattro
08-18-2004, 11:53 PM
You could use a MAG 12 then, as splitting into two outputs will down size the flow a fair bit. Supplement with a couple of good powerheads in the tank.

hockey nut
08-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks all for your help. I'll probly go with an external pump still not sure what type yet. Looking for the best bang for your buck if you know what I mean. But something that is decent quality. Any comments on the Quiet ones ? example... 4000...or 4000HH ..... Thanks again.

IslandReefer
08-19-2004, 09:25 AM
A Quiet one pump came with a skimmer,I bought recently, a 6000, I think.It pumps well enough to run a beckett (about 1500gph) with the gate wide open, but it gets quite warm and it isn't really is any quieter than my little giant (3MDQ-SC ,I think).
Both the little giant and the ever popular mak4 are about $200 where the box on the Quiet one said $145( and a ceramic shaft ?? :rolleyes: ) so save a little $??? maybe..I'll see in the long run.
Hope this helps