PDA

View Full Version : Golden Angelfish and other finicky eaters

tytown
06-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Any tips on getting picky eaters to eat?
I bought this golden angel a week ago and only because he looked very healthy and was picking at the rocks and glass in the FS. The only one i've seen worth actually paying the price for.
Ive tried spectrum, brine shrimp, sea weed, spectrum w/ garlic and cyclopeeze. He only seems to be interested in the rock.
Ive read threads on this species and some have reported going years without seeing it eat so maybe once QT is up I should just wing em in!? He loooks fine, and picks rocks all day long, how important it is if he has 200 lbs of LR as alternative food source?

freezetyle
06-19-2014, 03:03 PM
I didn't see mine eat for four months when he was in my tank. I kept putting in spirulina brine shrimp soaked in garlic and bright wells amino omega (basically selcon). eventually I finally saw him eat. as long as he is continually picking, you should be good.

George
06-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Golden angelfish is very, very shy in addition to picky eater. So don't force it. While in QT, just try a small amount of different foods every day to see which one attracts her. I wouldn't worry if she is not eating prepared food but still looks good. As soon as QT is done, put her in DT with a lot of hiding places(did I mention golden is very shy) so she can feel comfortable. As soon as she is comfortable she will eat.
Turn off light in QT if you have one. Dim your DT light few days after you introduce her to the DT. Watch for other fish bullying the golden.
Mine didn't eat anything in QT and started to eat mysis after a month or so in DT. She is still very cryptic after a few years in my care, only darting out to grab some mysis and dashing back to her hiding place.
Good luck with your fish. Golden angelfish is a beauty.

tytown
06-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys, I threw it in the DT last night and as usual its picking at the rocks non-stop. I guess we'll wait and see how it goes.