PDA

View Full Version : Dosing a vodka & vinager mix

Drazil
06-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Hi all

I'm looking for help on vodka & vinager dosing to reduce nitrate I have about 210gal setup that's including sump and external reeflo skimmer how do I mix the two meaning how many parts vodka to how many parts vinager. I also need to know how many ml of the mix should I be adding to my reef to start out and when to increase the dose please help!!

Cheers, ryan

mark
06-19-2014, 12:34 PM
realize the reasoning (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2414758)but why not try just one or the other to begin with with

reefwars
06-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Just follow the guide for vodka , omit some of the vodka and multiply by 8 to get the amount of vinegar you want to use , I'm not sure the ratio your trying to acquire but this is the idea anyways:) ethanol has 8x the amount of carbon then acetate

Personally I would do mostly vinegar and a little vodka then reversing it .

Dez
06-19-2014, 02:06 PM
I do vodka/vinegar. But I have no idea what ratio. I was doing zeostart before, but that stuff is too pricey, so when the bottle ran out that I dose from, I just put vinegar in it. No change in the tank. Then when the vinegar was almost out, I tipped it off with straight vodka. No change. Mind you I am probably the last person that you want advice from because I haven't tested any parameters in a few years. But my tank is doing well though.

Drazil
06-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks all I'm going to give it a try my nitrates r way up around 100ppm

langley reefer
06-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Hey i only dose vodka and it works quite well. I started approx. Two weeks ago and have seen a reduction in nitates by 40 ppm and a reduction in phosphates by about .60 ppm. I don't know about vinegar, never used it. I followed the instructions at
reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt

reefwars
06-20-2014, 01:49 AM
I'm all vinegar lol

Drazil
06-20-2014, 04:28 AM
I'll do a test tomorrow see if anything happened or not everything in the tank looks fine so.

reefwars
06-20-2014, 04:32 AM
I'll do a test tomorrow see if anything happened or not everything in the tank looks fine so.

Results wont happen that fast , you'll need to up the dosage over time if your just starting out , for some it's weeks others as long as months. your skimmer is going to work harder then it's ever worked before.

Be consistent with it and results will be faster

langley reefer
06-20-2014, 04:43 AM
I agree with reefwars it doesnt happen overnight. You need to be consistent with your dosing and follow instructions in regards to slowly increasing the dose. It took about a week and a half for me to see results.

Drazil
06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Ok thanks guys