PDA

View Full Version : Echo plus 1/4 hp chiller

lngrhaul
06-17-2014, 04:02 AM
I've had my chiller for a few years and it has always done a terrific job of keeping my tank steady at 77-79.

On the weekend I noticed some strange things in my tank and when I put my hand in the water it was freezing! I checked the chiller and it said the water temp was 80 and I double checked the settings and they were still at 77-79.

I put a couple of thermometers in the tank and the temp was 66.5:redface:

I don't normally have a heater so I scrounged one up and brought the temp back up to normal......everything seems to be much happier.

So the question is - what would cause the chiller to misread the temp and drop the temp down that low?

Any tips are much appreciated

Slyguy00
06-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Thats a bit scary considering i also rely on my chiller to control my temp. But I do have a heater just incase. Maybe its time to invest in a reef keeper..

SiliconGuy
06-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I second the suggestion of a temperature monitoring system. Runaway heaters (or chillers in your case) are not uncommon.
It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. A basic unit that will alert you of temperature outside of a user-defined window can
be obtained for roughly $120. Anyway, glad to read that you got away with little damage.

FWIW
-Benoit