PDA

View Full Version : Apex General Questions

Doug
06-15-2014, 07:07 PM
So besides my headache from trying to figure this thing out, I have a question.

Was watching video on top off. I like how he programmed it in relation to the skimmer, etc. I was going to use my Tunze but assume it cant work the same?

Doug
06-15-2014, 07:25 PM
And how the h#$% do you know which outlet is which. My reefkeeper is simple. One to eight. This thing has more numbers than exist..:lol:

whatcaneyedo
06-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Without knowing how the ATO was done in the video that you watched I cannot know if its the same as a Tunze or not. Perhaps post a link to the video.

Here is my ATO program. Switch 4 and 1 are float sensors in the sump and Switch 3 is a water on the floor sensor. The ATO pump comes on when the sump switches are in the down position and runs for at least 30 seconds at a time. Its nothing special and there are other ways of doing it. The comprehensive users manual available on Neptune's site outlines a different method.

Set ON
Min Time 000:30 Then ON
If Sw4 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw3 CLOSED Then OFF

Outlets are numbered from left to right, top row and then lower row like this:

Doug
06-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Without knowing how the ATO was done in the video that you watched I cannot know if its the same as a Tunze or not. Perhaps post a link to the video.

Here is my ATO program. Switch 4 and 1 are float sensors in the sump and Switch 3 is a water on the floor sensor. The ATO pump comes on when the sump switches are in the down position and runs for at least 30 seconds at a time. Its nothing special and there are other ways of doing it. The comprehensive users manual available on Neptune's site outlines a different method.

Set ON
If Sw4 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw3 CLOSED Then OFF

The video showed similar to you. I would guess the Osmolator has a separate controller you cannot program the float switches and sensor separate.

I understand the 1234
5678 as thats the same as my reefkeeper . I cant find it listed that way on computer though. Think I read and watched a hundred things by now.

Doug
06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Ohhhhh. I have my return pump going........:dizzy:

Doug
06-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Set ON
If Sw4 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw3 CLOSED Then OFF

So I need the break out box and two float switches, if I dont use my Tunze?
Yours is set to only allow top off at certain times? The video just showed besides other things, how he programmed his skimmer to shut down if the high switch was activated and back on after the level was back to normal. Pretty neat.

JDigital
06-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Yup, BOB and 2 switches and you're set.

It's a shame Apex doesn't have a "Platinum" edition kit with EVERYTHING... :lol: seems like you're gonna be being all the accessories anyways. :lol:

whatcaneyedo
06-16-2014, 03:38 AM
Technically you only need one switch with the breakout box or you could directly wire one in... instructions for how to do that are in the manual. I use two just in case one of them fails for some reason. Mine will run the ATO pump at any time. Whenever it does come on it runs for at least 30 seconds because I didn't want the pump to constantly switch on and off ever second in response to surface agitation in the sump.

Just keep reading and working away at it. I know the system is confusing as hell at first. Did you buy your unit new or was it used? I was just thinking that if it was used you should consider reseting everything back to the factory defaults so that you have a clean slate to work with.

Doug
06-16-2014, 03:49 AM
Yup, BOB and 2 switches and you're set.

It's a shame Apex doesn't have a "Platinum" edition kit with EVERYTHING... :lol: seems like you're gonna be being all the accessories anyways. :lol:

:lol: By the time Im done it will be platinum. CRAP, I cant even use my iphone without my granddaughters help.

Technically you only need one switch with the breakout box or you could directly wire one in... instructions for how to do that are in the manual. I use two just in case one of them fails for some reason. Mine will run the ATO pump at any time. Whenever it does come on it runs for at least 30 seconds because I didn't want the pump to constantly switch on and off ever second in response to surface agitation in the sump.

I was going to use two so I have a high level shutdown switch to. Or I may still just use my Osmolator.

Just keep reading and working away at it. I know the system is confusing as hell at first. Did you buy your unit new or was it used? I was just thinking that if it was used you should consider reseting everything back to the factory defaults so that you have a clean slate to work with.

I read lots today and watched many videos. Its brand spanking new.

Doug
06-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Bet Im the only one who is programming and going backwards...:crazyeye:

Doug
06-19-2014, 04:51 PM
37.3 Condx4
37.5VarSpd1_I1ONOFF AUTO ON100VarSpd2_I2PF2OFF AUTO ON100VarSpd3_I3PF3OFF AUTO ON100VarSpd4_I4OFFOFF AUTO ON0SndAlm_I6OFFOFF AUTO ONSndWrn_I7OFFOFF AUTO ONEmailAlm_I5OFFOFF AUTO ONLight1_3_1ONOFF AUTO ONLight2_3_2ONOFF AUTO ONPump1_3_3ONOFF AUTO ONPump2_3_4OFFOFF AUTO ONHeater_3_5OFFOFF AUTO ONChiller_3_6OFFOFF AUTO ONCO2_3_7ONOFF AUTO ONOzone_3_8ONOFF AUTO ONSw1:OpenSw2:OpenSw3:OpenSw4:OpenSw5:OpenSw6:Open Swx4_1:OpenSwx4_2:OpenSwx4_3:OpenSwx4_4:OpenSwx4_5 :OpenSwx4_6:OpenFeed Cycle
Cancel
A
B
C
D9:44:10 AM PDT
June 19, 2014
© 2005-14 Neptune Systems

Doug
06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
How do you determine which outlet is which in this pile of freakin gybrish. :lol:

FishingGoalie
06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
ONLight1_3_1ONOFF AUTO ONLight2_3_2ONOFF AUTO ONPump1_3_3ONOFF AUTO ONPump2_3_4OFFOFF AUTO ONHeater_3_5OFFOFF AUTO ONChiller_3_6OFFOFF AUTO ONCO2_3_7ONOFF AUTO ONOzone_3_8ONOFF AUTO

These are your outlets i believe

When i did mine I first just plugged a lamp into one of the outlets then keep turning stuff on until you find which outlet is which then name the outlet Outlet 1

Doug
06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
These are your outlets i believe

When i did mine I first just plugged a lamp into one of the outlets then keep turning stuff on until you find which outlet is which then name the outlet Outlet 1

Thanks. I will try that. Pretty sad with such a top controller, one has to do that to figure things out in comparison to my simpler RK2

Aquattro
06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
The default outlet names are named according to outlet. The bar itself has a label on it with the numbers. Pretty simple really.

patman
06-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Light1_3_1 ONOFF AUTO ONLight2_3_2 ONOFF AUTO ONPump1_3_3 ONOFF AUTO ONPump2_3_4 OFFOFF AUTO ONHeater_3_5 OFFOFF AUTO ONChiller_3_6 OFFOFF AUTO ONCO2_3_7 ONOFF AUTO ONOzone_3_8

These are your outlets. If you look at the last number on each one that will match up to the outlet number as long as you haven't renamed the outlet numbering.

Aquattro
06-19-2014, 06:24 PM
as long as you haven't renamed the outlet numbering.

Even if you rename, when you click on it and go to the config page, each outlet will have the number in brackets (2_1), etc.

Although, when you rename, add a _number the name so you still know what is what.

Doug
06-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys. Brad, its only simple once you understand it.......:lol:

Doug
06-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Are there longer ethernet cables, so you can hard wire further away?

Thanks

Doug
06-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Light1_3_1 ONOFF AUTO ONLight2_3_2 ONOFF AUTO ONPump1_3_3 ONOFF AUTO ONPump2_3_4 OFFOFF AUTO ONHeater_3_5 OFFOFF AUTO ONChiller_3_6 OFFOFF AUTO ONCO2_3_7 ONOFF AUTO ONOzone_3_8

These are your outlets. If you look at the last number on each one that will match up to the outlet number as long as you haven't renamed the outlet numbering.

:thumb: Thank you.

StirCrazy
06-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Are there longer ethernet cables, so you can hard wire further away?

Thanks

yup

Doug
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Everyday I figured one more thing out. :lol: Have both power bars labelled and operating now finally.

So I purchased the break out box but forgot to order the two float switches. I put my Osmolator on the sump for now. Do you guys think the Apex two float system is better than my Osmolator?

Doug
07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
And has anyone switched from the regular dashboard to Fusion. When this is done do I loose all I have programmed the last week or so ? :lol:

patman
07-02-2014, 02:31 AM
You shouldnt loose anything. You can always back it up just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

whatcaneyedo
07-03-2014, 02:06 AM
The Apex with two float switches and a maxi-jet ATO was better than my Tunze ATO... I don't know if it will be better than yours. It depends on how well your Tunze is currently operating.

Doug
07-03-2014, 02:15 PM
You shouldnt loose anything. You can always back it up just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. Im trying to figure out my Time Machine for backing up files. :lol:

The Apex with two float switches and a maxi-jet ATO was better than my Tunze ATO... I don't know if it will be better than yours. It depends on how well your Tunze is currently operating.

Thanks. I think I will eventually switch,{no pun intended}. My Tunze is working perfectly at the moment. Its protection for when Im away that worries me.

Simons
07-03-2014, 02:43 PM
And has anyone switched from the regular dashboard to Fusion. When this is done do I loose all I have programmed the last week or so ? :lol:

I run both, creating a fusion account does not result in any loss of access by any other means. Just 'another' way (and maybe an easier way) for people to set up their APEX.

JDigital
07-03-2014, 09:09 PM
The Tunze Osmo is great... but I would say you have more control over your top-off system if its controlled by your Apex rather than a stand-alone system. That's just my opinion though.

Doug
07-04-2014, 07:36 PM
The Tunze Osmo is great... but I would say you have more control over your top-off system if its controlled by your Apex rather than a stand-alone system. That's just my opinion though.

Its a good opinion Josh. I will likely order the floats as I already bought the break out box for some reason. :smile:

Doug
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Did you guys disable firewalls and anti viris to load Fusion?

patman
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
I did, but not sure if it is really necessary. I just shut down the antivirus on the computer I was using to set it up. Then turned it back on afterwards. I don't remember if I did the firewall (I don't think I did). I think I just left it on and then allowed it through when it asked me. Might be different for you though as I'm running mine at work and through an Enterprise Server.

Doug
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Ok. Thanks again.

Doug
07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Im trying to do my Apex networking for my iPhone. So far I have got to port forwarding. Says start & ending should be 80 but all mine has is all 0,s.
Thanks

patman
07-16-2014, 09:58 PM
If you got fusion to work, then you don't need to do this. Don't use the app. Just use your browser and go the the fusion site and sign in. Much simpler.

Doug
07-16-2014, 10:43 PM
If you got fusion to work, then you don't need to do this. Don't use the app. Just use your browser and go the the fusion site and sign in. Much simpler.

Thank you. Im on the fusion site and signed in but cant link my Apex. Says click on link to fusion on dashboard but I done see that anywhere. :neutral:

patman
07-16-2014, 10:58 PM
oh, you haven't linked it yet. I don't think you can do that from your iphone. Or at least I think it's easier from a computer. there is a utility file that is on the disk that came with the apex, that you run on a computer on the same network and it will find the apex. I can't remember if it connects automatically or if it gives you a code that you have to put in. The instructions are on the disk.

Aquattro
07-16-2014, 11:18 PM
You also need to be running newer firmware to get the Fusion link button

Doug
07-17-2014, 12:03 AM
oh, you haven't linked it yet. I don't think you can do that from your iphone. Or at least I think it's easier from a computer. there is a utility file that is on the disk that came with the apex, that you run on a computer on the same network and it will find the apex. I can't remember if it connects automatically or if it gives you a code that you have to put in. The instructions are on the disk.

Yes I was still on my Mac.

You also need to be running newer firmware to get the Fusion link button

I updated it Brad, followed all the inst. on fusion. Still dont have a link button. Mine says communication error.

patman
07-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Is link under your user name - click there (that's where it is now for me but I don't know if that's because it is already set up)?

You did the enable thing on the controller and got a token? You'll have to do it again as the other one should have expired.

Doug
07-17-2014, 01:18 AM
Is link under your user name - click there (that's where it is now for me but I don't know if that's because it is already set up)?

Yes but its still telling me to link from my dashboard to get my token/

You did the enable thing on the controller and got a token? You'll have to do it again as the other one should have expired.

Sorry. What do I enable.

Thanks

patman
07-17-2014, 02:46 AM
Have you seen this
http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/afqs.pdf

Did you run the utility to find the ip of the controller on your network? You type in that ip in your browser to get access to you controller with you Mac (this was the regular way before fusion). You have to either enable fusion by going into the controller with the old method and get the token (I think it was a 4 or 5 digit code).

Then in fusion you go to link and type in that token code.

Then you should be set.

Doug
07-17-2014, 02:59 AM
Have you seen this
http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/afqs.pdf

Did you run the utility to find the ip of the controller on your network? You type in that ip in your browser to get access to you controller with you Mac (this was the regular way before fusion). You have to either enable fusion by going into the controller with the old method and get the token (I think it was a 4 or 5 digit code).

Then in fusion you go to link and type in that token code.

Then you should be set.

Yes thats site I used. I cant get it to recognize the controller IP. I will try again.
Thanks so much for the help.

Doug
07-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Thanks Pat for all the help and to the others that have contributed. I now have it running on both computers and my iPhone.

Just need to figure out all the probes/outlets and such that Im not using. But at least its loaded and I can control from my phone.

Doug
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
So after switching tanks and reconnecting my Apex, it worked fine. Then yesterday I click on it and wont load. Same today. Tried switching ports.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Doug
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out and have it working again. Still cant find my tile to link Fusion again however....:lol:

HA. Fixed it to.