PDA

View Full Version : Skinny yellow tang

Invigor
08-17-2004, 04:30 PM
I have a yellow tang since November 03 (2nd salty fish I've ever owned) and she will not fatten up. Her face became semi-translucent which I've read to be HLLE. I found out my mag running my sump was leaking electricity into the water. I did up a closed loop system so the pump is no longer sumbmersed in water -- since then I've noticed her face is back to normal but she is incredibly skinny.

I feed mysis in selcon, ocean nutrition marine 1 & 2, and nori about 4 times a day for the past 3 weeks and she doesn't seem to be getting any fatter. she's a pig and will eat everything I put in. She's got a 105g tank basically to herself, just a few chromis, gobies and a scooter, so there's no compition for food.

Has anyone had this happen to them or know how to plump her up?

TIA

Delphinus
08-17-2004, 04:35 PM
How do you feed the nori?

The thing about tangs is that they're constant grazers. They need to be able to pick at food all day. So basically, that nori needs to be available 24/7.

So if you're not doing this already, the best way to feed nori is take a piece of PVC, or other tubing, roll up a half sheet of nori over it, and hold it in place with an elastic criss-crossed. They'll be able to pick at this and it will last for several hours. This is way superior method over a feeding clip holding a sheet in place. A sheet that isn't rolled over something solid will just disintegrate in the current, but over a pipe or a tube, and the only nori that comes off is the stuff that gets eaten. More gets available to be eaten, and less of it floats around to pollute the tank.

Invigor
08-17-2004, 05:01 PM
I use a small piece of live rock to do it instead of the PVC. It's usually enough to last most of the day--at least 8 hours

LostMind
08-17-2004, 05:51 PM
The rock tip worked for me as well.

What nori are you feeding? From the grocery store? or?

Are you soaking the nori in garlic and selcon? I did for a month to fatten up my tang. Made him eat it with more gusto...

Invigor
08-17-2004, 06:06 PM
i have both kinds, this stuff is from ocean nutrition, i've got the red, green and brown kinds. I haven't soaked them in selcon and garlic. maybe I'll try that.

kris_willard
08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Dick Boyds Vita-chem is like steroids for fish try some of that it works wonders!

EmilyB
08-17-2004, 09:17 PM
OSI spirulina flake several times a day. :biggrin: