PDA

View Full Version : Problem with algae

bsung413
06-14-2014, 04:42 AM
Hi everyone, so here's my problem with algae. I have to scrape my glass once a week when I do my water change. Is this normal to everyone or does some one never have to scrape their glass tank?

Here are my parameters
Amonia/nitrate/nitrite: 0
Phosphate: 0-0.25

Lights on 12pm to 10pm, with low lights one hour after and before it switch on/off.

Only use RO/DI water for water change 10-15% weekly

Feed my fish daily with PE MYSIS soak in selcon or vitachem or garlic

I remember someone told me scraping tank once a week is normal, but is there a solution where I can quit doing it or do it once a month?

Thanks for helping

Slyguy00
06-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Sounds pretty normal. I dont even consider once a week a problem. I dont think your gonna be able to avoid that really. I have to clean my glass once a day. But im having other issues.

kien
06-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Scraping algae off your glass is a necessary evil. The frequency that it is required varies greatly. Average is probably 1 week. I myself have to scrape every two days at least. My tank sits in my living room where it gets a lot of ambient light on 3 sides of the tank. I've seen basement tanks extend the scraping requirement to 1 or two weeks.

If you don't want to scrape your glass you could hire someone to do it for you.

bsung413
06-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys, I guess that's the fun of keeping reef aquarium!!

Aquattro
06-14-2014, 06:36 AM
is there a solution where I can quit doing it or do it once a month?

This

If you don't want to scrape your glass you could hire someone to do it for you.

sumpfinfishe
06-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I remember someone told me scraping tank once a week is normal, but is there a solution where I can quit doing it or do it once a month?

Having a reef requires much attention and to be honest cleaning your glass once a week is a very minimal chore in this hobby. Cleaning filters and sumps, skimmers and reactors, to water changes and testing parameters all require time. It takes no time at all to clean glass if you have a good cleaning magnet. I guess everyone has a pet peeve in this hobby, mine is cleaning glass tops and the outside frame once a week to wipe up all the salt creep:twised:

harlequin01
06-21-2014, 02:15 PM
just get a lawnmower blenny
. I never feed mine but he still can't keep up with the algae.

Proteus
06-21-2014, 02:21 PM
just get a lawnmower blenny
. I never feed mine but he still can't keep up with the algae.

Or lower your nutrients