PDA

View Full Version : Crabapples

MitchM
08-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Any canning gurus out there?

I'm tired of picking crabapples up off of my lawn and putting them in the composter, so I've decided to can them instead. Any tips or good recipes? Where do you even buy canning equipment?
How about crabapple liqueur?

TIA,
Mitch

marie
08-16-2004, 07:52 PM
crabapple jelly is really good. You can find a recipe in a box of pectin. Then you can use the pulp for cabapple butter, also very good.

Canadian Man
08-17-2004, 12:03 AM
If you want any tips Mitch give Katie (The wifey) a call and she can help you out. She and her Dad can a bunch of stuff every year at this time. I love having my homemade jam every morning for breakfast! :biggrin:

Old Guy
08-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Smash em, Bash em, add yeast, water and a little sugar. Let sit in plastic carbage can for a few weeks to work. Strain and siphon into a container that has one of those air bubble type thingies. Few more weeks and bottle.
I'll be there shortly after :mrgreen: .

reefhawk
08-17-2004, 06:53 AM
crabapple brandy is the best. First make wine from it as someone previously described and then distill it. Made a batch a few years ago, wow it was awesome.

MitchM
08-18-2004, 11:31 AM
I wonder why I'm not getting email notifications.... :question:

Thanks everyone!
I'll see if the wife will o.k. a couple of garbage cans in the front room.... :lol:

I'll look for a box of "pectin", and look up your ph# again, Jon.
Isn't there a shortcut for distilling wine into liqueur by adding vodka and sugar?
I'll have to find out. :mrgreen:

Mitch

Cap'n
09-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Smash em, Bash em, add yeast, water and a little sugar. Let sit in plastic carbage can for a few weeks to work. Strain and siphon into a container that has one of those air bubble type thingies. Few more weeks and bottle.
I'll be there shortly after :mrgreen: .

Where could I find a more detailed version of this recipe?

Cap'n
09-26-2004, 06:16 AM
OK, found a bunch myself, also found a few recipes for cider.
Never made wine before. Wish me luck!

CptCarboy