PDA

View Full Version : LF experienced person to drill tank

Truziel
06-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Hello,

As my title says I am looking for an experienced person to drill a couple holes for 1" bulkhead in a tank for me. I've spoken with Jeff at J&L and he is unable to get in contact with his guy at the moment, so I was hoping some other reefer could help me out perhaps even teach me!

~Joshua

AquaPin
06-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Oceanic Corals did mine, maybe check with them.

greyreef
06-04-2014, 12:47 AM
I just drilled my first tank
3 holes for bulkheads on the back of a 40 gal breeder
Its really quite easy, just go to gl*******s.com, look at their video and follow
You have the drillbits?

nrosdal
06-04-2014, 01:19 AM
very easy. Go to princess auto or somewhere comparable and buy a bit. Run water on tank drill slowly and from the inside out so if it chips the seal on bulkhead will still be good.

Truziel
06-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Thank you for all the info, I'll swing by princess auto after work tomorrow and give it a try this weekend. have an older tank I can practice on lol.

Accordexi
06-06-2014, 02:08 AM
Just make sure it's not tempered glass ;)

Bryan
06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
The thicker the glass (within reason) it is easier. Drilling 3/8" or 1/2" glass is easy and with a diamond bit it's a piece of cake, go slow and lot's of water. Just be carefiul on the "push through" at the end or you will get chips taken out of the glass. Some like to clamp a piece of wood on the back so the bit doesn't "punch through" quickly.

Truziel
06-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Just make sure it's not tempered glass ;)

That's the first thing I did ;) bottom is all else is not.

The thicker the glass (within reason) it is easier. Drilling 3/8" or 1/2" glass is easy and with a diamond bit it's a piece of cake, go slow and lot's of water. Just be carefiul on the "push through" at the end or you will get chips taken out of the glass. Some like to clamp a piece of wood on the back so the bit doesn't "punch through" quickly.

I like that wood idea, would also catch the glass. Thanks for the encouragement and advise guys! Got my bit at princesses auto and drilling this afternoon, will let you all know how I did.