PDA

View Full Version : Tips to catch a wrasse?

Slyguy00
06-02-2014, 05:04 AM
So obviously catching my Melenarus wrasse is proving to be a challange. I seem to have better luck with my hand then a net as he isn't afraid of my hand. I caught him in a corner with my hand but he snuck between my fingers. Wondering if anybody had any tricks or tips to catch this guy. I really don't won a remove rock or coral from my tank either. I will be trying tonight once he sleeps in the sand but if anybody has any secret tricks I'm all ears. thanks.

Tn23
06-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Try using a fish trap. That's how I've personally caught them in the past. They always go for that mysis!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Aquattro
06-02-2014, 05:28 AM
Drain tank, pick him up.

Slyguy00
06-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Drain tank, pick him up.

With coral and rock exposed to air?

Aquattro
06-02-2014, 05:33 AM
With coral and rock exposed to air?

Yup, just don't go for dinner while it's empty. Drain, catch fish, refill. Takes me about 30 minutes total for the 180.

Slyguy00
06-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Yup, just don't go for dinner while it's empty. Drain, catch fish, refill. Takes me about 30 minutes total for the 180.

So if I did that and had all my sps exposed to air for say 20-30 minutes that wudnt hurt anything? It does sound a lot easier then what iv been dealing with. Just don't want to effect anything else in the process.

Wheelman76
06-02-2014, 05:38 AM
If you drain it make sure you pay close attention to where he goes and hides in the sand or you could be trying for a while.

Aquattro
06-02-2014, 05:39 AM
An example of draining tanks

Years ago I was moving across town, running a 75g SPS tank. Was feeling lazy, so I rented 20 5g water bottles with caps. Drained tank into bottles, disconnected the plumbing and loaded the full reef with fish flopping around the bottom into a van on 4x4 blocks. Drove about 10k across town to my new condo, moved the stand in, carried tank up and placed it then dumped the water bottles back in the tank. Other than some really annoyed fish, everything was fine. Nothing moved or shifted, all corals were intact :)

Did it again moving out of the condo into my current house.

Aquattro
06-02-2014, 05:40 AM
So if I did that and had all my sps exposed to air for say 20-30 minutes that wudnt hurt anything? It does sound a lot easier then what iv been dealing with. Just don't want to effect anything else in the process.

I've drained my current tank 3 times in the last year. Average time is about 30 minutes, but see my moving adventure above!

albert_dao
06-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Your SPS will be fine exposed to air for half an hour. You can mist them down if you get nervous.

Slyguy00
06-02-2014, 05:51 AM
An example of draining tanks

Years ago I was moving across town, running a 75g SPS tank. Was feeling lazy, so I rented 20 5g water bottles with caps. Drained tank into bottles, disconnected the plumbing and loaded the full reef with fish flopping around the bottom into a van on 4x4 blocks. Drove about 10k across town to my new condo, moved the stand in, carried tank up and placed it then dumped the water bottles back in the tank. Other than some really annoyed fish, everything was fine. Nothing moved or shifted, all corals were intact :)

Did it again moving out of the condo into my current house.

lol wow that sounds scary. But it sure sounds like that is the way to go about it. Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful. Im gonna try once he goes into the sand tonight and if I can't get him I'm draining my tank tomorrow. I will post how it turns out. Thanks again guys, great ideas.

AquaPin
06-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Good luck, if you need some buckets, let me know.

spit.fire
06-02-2014, 06:28 AM
you should put your space monsters in my nano tank just in case tho while you're draining your tank
:mrgreen:

NIVLEM09
06-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Drain tank, pick him up.

+1 done this a few times

Slyguy00
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Well ended up just letting him go in the sand, and in the morning i just took my net and scooped him up. Couldn't have gone any smoother. Thanks for all the advice guys.

pinkreef
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I was going to say that :surprise:

Borderjumper
06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
What I did once with a big green wrasse was put a piece of PVC pipe vertically in the tank.. The bottom end plugged.. Fill it within a couple of inches with sand. The wrasse being curious would go in during the day and bury himself in it at night.. While he was buried just pick up the pipe :)