PDA

View Full Version : How long will live rock with coral survive transport.

Sasq40
06-02-2014, 03:20 AM
I'm looking at buying a used setup from Edmonton and I live in Grande Prairie. I have family in town that will be driving back Tuesday afternoon, and the guy selling the tank had to sell by Monday. I sent them with tubs with heaters and powerheads cuz I thought I'd be able to pick it up Tuesday. So I'm wondering will things survive I'm tubs for 24 hours till they can get back to me?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

IanWR
06-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Assuming there is enough water, that water is heated and circulated, and there is some of the live rock in there, things should be fine. I did a tank move (a biocube 29), and had everything in 2 bins for 4 days. The only unusual thing that happened is one of the rbta split.

Sasq40
06-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Yes there are all attached to live rock and will be in tubs covered in water. My only proably might be they might have to spend some time not with heater and powerhead when the vehicle isn't running (like over night) because my inlaws are old and won't be able to carry the tub into the hotel over night

asylumdown
06-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Will this vehicle be parked outside overnight? What is coming with the setup beyond rock? Any corals or fish?

The night time low in Edmonton is forecasted to be 9 degrees tomorrow. Leaving fish and most corals without flow or a heater over-night is a risky thing to do for a tank that is stable, well established, and in a heated home. Leaving fish and corals in a tub over-night in a vehicle parked outside with no flow or heat at pretty much any time of the year in Alberta will most assuredly kill everything.

If you're lucky, some pods will survive the night as those things are pretty much bullet proof, but that's about it. If livestock is part of the package, you need to find a way to keep the water at least warm, and preferably moving and warm.

ETA: I see you posted this yesterday. The night time low in Edmonton is supposed to be 10 degrees. Still way too cold for anything from a reef to survive in overnight.

Sasq40
06-02-2014, 10:03 PM
The guy was finally reasonable and is going to get his brother to meet up with my inlaws so they will have power fir the car ride home

albert_dao
06-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Pick up a bunch of batter powered air pumps. You may also want to have some premade water ready for an overnight water change. Doing that, you might be able to squeeze a few days out of the transport assuming there aren't any overly sensitive species and nothing crazy happens.

neoh
06-03-2014, 01:00 AM
I think it's a recipe for disaster. :|

Sasq40
06-03-2014, 04:43 AM
Well guy sold it on me so guess won't have to worry

albert_dao
06-03-2014, 05:26 AM
Probably for the greater good, that.

Moving a tank is a nightmare.