PDA

View Full Version : Black sun coral question

Kellyscoral
05-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Hello - I have a couple of orange sun corals as well as one black one. Had them all for about 8 or 9 months and they eat well and extend beautifully. About 6 weeks ago the black one started getting some white patches, it's still gets beautiful huge green polyps and eats well. Most of what I've researched suggest that this tends to happen to the black ones and that eventually it will die. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I love these corals and would hate to have this guy die. Water parameters are all good and all my suns are in good flow areas down at the bottom of my tank. Thanks!

darkreef
05-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Is it a parasite can you try dipping it ?

Maybe some little bugger is picking on it .

Kellyscoral
05-31-2014, 02:49 AM
Thanks that's a good idea - I will give that a try. Fingers crossed !

reefwars
05-31-2014, 04:02 AM
Hello - I have a couple of orange sun corals as well as one black one. Had them all for about 8 or 9 months and they eat well and extend beautifully. About 6 weeks ago the black one started getting some white patches, it's still gets beautiful huge green polyps and eats well. Most of what I've researched suggest that this tends to happen to the black ones and that eventually it will die. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I love these corals and would hate to have this guy die. Water parameters are all good and all my suns are in good flow areas down at the bottom of my tank. Thanks!

Are you touching it?

The blacks will lost their color if handled or dropped in sand etc. the black does not grow back . If its feeding it's alive so just keep feeding it and a pic would help. Did you get this from me at concept I think maybe?;)

monza
05-31-2014, 04:35 AM
Black or orange IMO, long term they are very hard to keep. Even with strict regular feeding regiments they challenge the best reef keepers. Some have success but let me ask this, how many people her have keep them thriving for beyond two years?

Kellyscoral
06-04-2014, 05:29 AM
Yep I did get it from you at Concept. I will post a pic tomorrow for you to take a look at. I haven't handled it at all - it seemed to like the spot where I placed it when I first got it so I have not needed to handle it. It's definitely alive - eating and extending. Don't happen to have a yellow one in stock do you?

craigwmiller
06-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Black or orange IMO, long term they are very hard to keep. Even with strict regular feeding regiments they challenge the best reef keepers. Some have success but let me ask this, how many people her have keep them thriving for beyond two years?

Very good question! I failed. I kept an orange one (about 40 polyps) alive for about 14 months. I still have it (in the sump) because there is now a huge sponge on the bottom, but other than that............

I fed it, it ate, and ate, and ate, and ate, and then it lost interest in eating. It took about 4 months for it to fully die off, one polyp at a time would slowly peel back over a few days or a week, some would eat, others not, different foods, it just wasn't interested.