PDA

View Full Version : Bird wrass disease id

robbyville
08-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi folks,

A local art gallery has pretty much the only other SW tank in town, the owner used a fellow who lived nearby to service the tank but he's no longer around.

The tank is a corner tank, looks to be no larger than maybe 40 gal and has no LR, but artificial decorations.

He has a female Bird Wrass of about 5 inches in length. It has been losing it's colour and has a cottony growth all over it's beak. It also looks like it's becoming discoloured (red) around the cheeks and gills.

I tried to take some pics which I will check out tonight and post if possible, but the fish moved so much it was difficult.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Sadly, I know nothing about the tank, parameters, etc but if need be I will try to work with the owner to get it figured.

Thanks,

Rob

Beverly
08-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Rob,

The condition sounds familiar, but I have no solution for you :cry:

I think you would get a better response at RC's Fish Diseases Forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=87

robbyville
08-14-2004, 10:34 PM
thanks Bev,

I had looked through there previously but could find no pics (all out of date I guess). Once I download the camera, maybe I'll have better success.

Thanks though!

Rob

hawk
08-15-2004, 06:56 PM
If the condition is localized around the mouth,check out "cotton mouth desease" it is a bacterial infection and can be treated with Maracyn-two. I have a article somewhere, I'll look for it today.

robbyville
08-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Hawk that would be great, especially if there was a pic.

It's definitely only around the mouth, it does not seem like it's having problems breathing, like so many of the problems listed on RC.

The only question I have about cotton mouth, is that I thought the fungus looked more like cauliflower, the fungus on the Bird Wrass is definitely more "cottony"

Thanks again,

Rob

hawk
08-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Sorry no pics. Cotton mouth and cauliflower desease (Lymphoystis) sp.? are two different diseases. Cotton mouth being bacterial and Lymphocistis being viral and usually seen on the fins. Cauliflower is not a serious condition and may heal on it's own. If it's bacterial it is probably the result of a injury or more likely poor water quality, and since this tank is not being serviced anymore, I suspect this may have something to do with it.. So I would first check out the water quality and go from there.