PDA

View Full Version : BTA is a stinger...

KirstyL
09-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has had much trouble with a BTA stinging a coral that it touches. My BTA recently split, and both are roaming around the tank,they have stung a pinapple, clove polyp, and some sinularia, leaving definate "wounds". I have had it for three years with no issues until now. (maybe because it stayed put)
Thanks for any words of wisdom,
kirsty :rolleyes:

Bob I
09-25-2002, 08:24 PM
Delphinus dared to tell you it computer not computor. Do I dare to say it is definite not definate?? :confused: :D :D

Troy F
09-25-2002, 08:43 PM
A host anemone will have a strong sting and generally they'll "win" any confrontations. Hopefully they'll settle down for you. Sometimes, anemones move when they are unhappy and as well, sometimes they split when unhappy. Have you had any changes in your tank specs over the last while?

Oh and Bob, you git a gold starr four you're speling prouwess.

Bob I
09-25-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks Troy, I appreciate it. That will go nicely with my gold attendance star. :D :D Does Tony get one too?

Delphinus
10-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Sheesh, I missed this post too, just found it today. Sorry for the belated reply.

DON'T let your anemones touch any stoney corals. A BTA can do some very serious damage to stoney corals (SPS -and- LPS). I very nearly lost my red open brain because of one of the times my BTA split, and it wandered (well .. "grew" would be a more accurate term since my BTA's tend to start off at 3"-4" after a split and grow to 8"-10" at full expansion in short order) to within a zone where it could occasionally brush up against the coral. Despite that the contact was intermittent at best, it didn't take very long to become self-evident that a lot of damage was being done. It takes forever for the damage to heal (if it does at all).

A similar incident in my tank was mushrooms next to a bubble coral. I thought the bubble coral would win the confrontation since they're reputed to be aggressive, but, I was wrong. The mushrooms won. It took a long time for the damaged area on this coral to be recovered.

Moral of the story: don't risk it. If there is just the slightest risk of anemone/stoney contact, take a corrective action. Don't let it happen, you will be kicking yourself if you do. Move things around or get rid of something, or place some live rock in between to create a barrier, or something.