PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what's the secret?

Aquattro
05-25-2014, 08:33 PM
After 4 years of trying, I just can't grow digitata....easiest SPS ever, and I kill it all. :redface:

Rice Reef
05-25-2014, 08:41 PM
After 4 years of trying, I just can't grow digitata....easiest SPS ever, and I kill it all. :redface:

Have you tried singing to it? Mine grows well... Stupid kole tang is constantly breaking it though but then I have frags to sell. I have my red digi very low now so it doesn't grow so fast.

xenon
05-25-2014, 09:18 PM

We put some in our LPS system and its doing amazing.

It seems to hate conditions that acro's thrive under.

Ryanerickson
05-25-2014, 10:25 PM
I kill it no matter where I put it in my acro display putting it with Lps sounds like a good idea lower light my issue with digi is it always bleaches

Aquattro
05-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Mine just gets faded, spindley and dies. Maybe they need higher nutrient systems?

albert_dao
05-25-2014, 10:59 PM
I had problems with it until I started dosing Strontium. But then again, it could have just coincided with my tripling the bioload overnight.

Aquattro
05-25-2014, 11:08 PM
I had problems with it until I started dosing Strontium. But then again, it could have just coincided with my tripling the bioload overnight.

I'm famous for changing more than one thing at a time :) I can try both next time I get some digi

albert_dao
05-25-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm famous for changing more than one thing at a time :)

Yah, you and exactly 99% of everyone else who has ever had a puzzling issue with their reef, lol.

StirCrazy
05-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Mine just gets faded, spindley and dies. Maybe they need higher nutrient systems?

nope

remember this
http://www.members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/tank_left34.jpg

3 months be for it was this
http://www.members.shaw.ca/cyltic/temppic2/top.jpg

and one of my other ones

http://www.members.shaw.ca/cyltic/temppic2/purple.jpg

one of my favorite corals, and always will be, digi grows like a bad weed and if you keep the alk slightly higher than normal the color really pops.

Steve

Aquattro
05-26-2014, 05:13 AM
nope

remember this
http://www.members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/tank_left34.jpg

Well, based on the algae I see all over the rock, I'd say the nutrient level was good for growing digi. :)

NIVLEM09
05-26-2014, 06:22 AM
IME,Digi's love a little NO3 and PO4.if you want a frag of my forest fire.i can give you a frag,Brad.

Aquattro
05-26-2014, 06:28 AM
IME,Digi's love a little NO3 and PO4.if you want a frag of my forest fire.i can give you a frag,Brad.

I'd just kill it, but thanks :) I have no detectable NO3 or PO4, which is likely my problem.

NIVLEM09
05-26-2014, 06:34 AM
I'd just kill it, but thanks :) I have no detectable NO3 or PO4, which is likely my problem.

If you have undetectable NO3 and PO4 then you're going to love my RR red diablo.it'll ready to be fragged soon

Aquattro
05-26-2014, 06:41 AM
If you have undetectable NO3 and PO4 then you're going to love my RR red diablo.it'll ready to be fragged soon

Well, if I can duplicate the environment in the new tank, I'll pester you for one in a few months :)

NIVLEM09
05-26-2014, 06:42 AM
Well, if I can duplicate the environment in the new tank, I'll pester you for one in a few months :)

Sure,Brad.not a problem.

Craigdillman
05-26-2014, 01:08 PM
I never seen a lot of growth in mine till I put it a bit lower and out of the direct flow I'm not sure what it liked more less light or less flow but after that in like 2 months it doubled and a bit

Aquattro
05-26-2014, 01:10 PM
I've had mine all over the tank, no difference. I currently have some orange that is just an encrusted base with some nubs. No growth. My caps and encrusting pieces grow well, just the digi sucks :)

sumpfinfishe
05-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Your not the only one Brad, I was just over at Ryan's for a few pops and a few more frags and I was saying how out of all the common sps frags I have acquired, my orange branching digi is the only piece in my new reef that hasn't grown or even encrusted at the base for that matter:neutral:

Werbo
05-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Try peeing in the sump just after the skimmer. This should raise you PO4 and nitrates sufficently to grow digi's. Just regular old fashioned ****.

Make sure that you have not been drinking vodka cause any residual ethanol may cause a bacterial bloom and be counter productive

asylumdown
05-29-2014, 05:38 AM
I have a hot pink digi that sits in the highest,brightest part of my reef, 8 inches from an MP 40 and directly under where the flow from the return breaks against the overflow. Throughout my months of unexplained coral carnage, it was one of two corals that not only kept growing, appeared to pick up the pace. I keep knocking pieces of it off in to the sand by accident. If you want me to mail you some, let me know!

Aquattro
05-29-2014, 05:49 AM
I'm going to see how the new tank handles it. Maybe it will grow. Maybe...:)

StirCrazy
05-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, based on the algae I see all over the rock, I'd say the nutrient level was good for growing digi. :)

you would think but no, the nitrates were always 0.

Steve