PDA

View Full Version : Help taking fish pictures

FishingGoalie
05-25-2014, 02:02 AM
Hello as the title states I'm in need of some help. I can't seem to get any pictures of my fish because by the time i go to take the picture they move waaaaaaaayyaay too fast. Ive tried tracking the fish, I've tried keeping the camera in the same spot but i just can't seem to get a good picture. I have a olympus EPL-1, which i think is considered a mini DSLR with just the standard lens that comes with it.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Hayden

gregzz4
05-25-2014, 02:18 AM
I was having trouble getting good shots with my point and shoot ...

I now take a video, pause it where I like it, and then take a screen shot to be cropped

FishingGoalie
05-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Hmmm thats a good idea.

Timbits
05-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Lol when my gf told me to do that I was like "doh why didn't I think of that" :lol:

I was having trouble getting good shots with my point and shoot ...

I now take a video, pause it where I like it, and then take a screen shot to be cropped

Timbits
05-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Works perfect!

hillegom
05-25-2014, 06:46 AM
I like that idea!

ThisGuy12
05-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Either video, or seriously ramp up your shutter speed. You could also take a distance shot of the entire tank and zoom/crop the photo to show what you're looking for.

Some people I've heard "shock" the fish via lighting, it almost stuns them in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrhasan
05-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Very fast shutter (somewhere in the range 1/200s), aperture to your taste of depth of field and flash! Yes use FLASH for that black background with just the fish (having black background helps too ;) ).

Dearth
05-26-2014, 06:33 PM
This is how I take pictures of fish set up the camera set shutter speed and tank lighting wait for fish to swim infront of camera take a couple of pictures wait some more take a few more pictures then take camera to computer download pictures decide that fish make lousy photography subjects go online look for similar pictures of my fish and then show people this is what my fish would look like if they would pose for the camera.

MarkoD
05-27-2014, 02:42 AM
Either video, or seriously ramp up your shutter speed. You could also take a distance shot of the entire tank and zoom/crop the photo to show what you're looking for.

Some people I've heard "shock" the fish via lighting, it almost stuns them in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rofl. The flash doesn't stun the fish in place. LOL!!!

The flash is just such a quick burst of light that it freezes the action when taking the photo. It's the same as using a quick shutter speed

sumpfinfishe
05-27-2014, 05:02 AM
Most fish will frequent certain areas due to the whole territorial thing, so setup your camera on a tripod and pick a specific area for each individual fish. Then if you have burst mode or multiply frame setting pre-focus and lock your focus until your fish swims into that specific area and simply release the shutter to shoot multiple frames which might or might not result in a great image, for every 40-50 fish images i get one or two keepers-thank goodness for digital cameras!!!:biggrin:

Adding some food before hand is also a trick i use, it slows them down a little not to mention it keeps them smiling:mrgreen: