PDA

View Full Version : looking for breeding food :p

Dreadful
05-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Hey guys,

I've discovered one of my pipefish has eggs on him and despite the very low success rate there seems to be for raising these little guys I'd like to give it a shot just for the experience!

I'm building myself a kreisel tank like this:
http://www.ventralfins.com/diy_kreisel.html

But it seems to be pretty difficult to find rotifer culture or any food source needed. Does anyone know where I can find some?

In any case I'd like to give this a few tries and who knows maybe try breeding other fish once I'm fully setup. So any tips or suggestions from experienced breeders would be good too!

monocus
05-25-2014, 01:58 AM
i raise rotifers and microalgae-$5 for an 8 oz bottle

Dreadful
06-05-2014, 08:20 AM
thats not a bad price! is it difficult to do? might have to make a trip out to burnaby one of these days!

all my eggs are gone and i didnt even see one baby pipe but im going to try and be prepared for the next run. still setting up ill let you know when im ready :)

rayjay
06-05-2014, 01:00 PM
The eggs are usually picked off by the partner pipe fish.

Dreadful
06-07-2014, 06:43 PM
theres already new eggs on the momma haha

im thinking of seperating her this time into the kreisel tank until they hatch but im not quite setup yet. going to try and get it ready today

monocus is transporting the rotifers from burnaby to abbotsford going to stress them out or anything?

monocus
06-08-2014, 03:01 AM
not at all.at room temp they will double in population every 16 hours.if you want them dormant,you can refrigerate them for a week.just don't leave them in a locked car in the middle of summer to boil

Dreadful
06-27-2014, 08:01 PM
sorry im not on here much haha i still want to do this

ill pm you my number and maybe we can arrange something. i still have yet to see an egg hatch but the momma seems to get more and more eggs every time

Myka
06-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Do a Google search for "Jim Welsh pipefish breeding".

Dreadful
06-28-2014, 08:07 PM
thanks for the tip ill do that :)