PDA

View Full Version : Just Moved

danny zubot
08-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I have recently moved to a new home as did my tank obviously. I was a bit worried about the whole ordeal as this is the first time I've ever relocated a reef. I't been set up for about two weeks now and everthing seems to be recovering. My anemones wondered around for a few days but have settled back into the light again.

I have a 54 gallon oceanic corner unit drilled out with a 2.5 inch drain. A15 gallon sump\fuge with 10 lbs live sand and a modified seaclone skimmer. (not recommended). I need to upgrade the skimmer and I'd also like to add a CA reactor to the system. Water is pumped 4.5 feet back into the tank using a Rio20H pump rated at 1270 gph. It gives a good 950 gph at that elevation.

I have about 60 lbs live rock and 50 lbs live sand, two ocelaris clowns that host a green BTA. The BTA has split twice in the past couple months so I have three now. 1 of them has become the favorite hangout for an anemone shrimp, I also have a banded coral shrimp. My sandbed is maintained by about 30-40 hermits and snails which my seem small for the volume of the tank, but I find it to work well. Helping them is an abundence of bristle worms and about 30 small brittle starsfish.

For corals I have a zoo rock with various yellow as well as orange polyps, and tree dozen shrooms of various types scattered throughout. I have an orange digitata, torch coral frag with 4.5 heads on it, a toadstool leather, two green candy corals, an elkhorn coral, and a baby sponge that hitch hiked on a piece of live rock. The lighting in my tank has always been a challenge because of it's rectangular shape. I have recently upgraded my lights so that I have a total of 185 watts worth of everything from NO to PC bulbs. 1x 20 watt 50\50, 1x 20 watt 480 actinic, 1x 15 watt 420 actinic (dusk lighting), 1x 60 watt 480 actinic and 1x 60 watt 10000k is the break down.

I've had reef tanks for about two years now and Canreef has proven to be the best learning tool for me.

Thanks,

Dan

danny zubot
10-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Well, I've changed a few things over the past 2 months to my tank. I have added lighting, twice now actually, and I currently have 1 250 watt 14k MH set up over the tank. I find the intensity much better than the 180 watts of NO and PC lighting I had uprgraded to last month. The PCs I upgraded to before really started to make my corals grow, but now with MH lighting I expect them to thrive!

I have also replaced my base rock (30 lbs of tuffa) with 40 lbs of live rock, which is more esthetically pleasing if not slightly better for filtration. I have been on a coral buying kick for some time now and have increased my collection to about 15 species of soft, and stoney etc. All are frags purchased or traded from local reefers in Calgary, my small contribution to preserving the world's naturals reefs.

Everything else is pretty much the same as far as equipment is concerned, the tank is doing well and I owe much it's success to Canreef!